• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote Brake Fluid Resivoir - My Version

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Does that oiler bottle have an air vent? If I'm not mistaken, it's necessary to let air move in and out of the reservoir, or else you might find yourself either with no brakes or brakes that won't release when you least expect it. If you haven't already incorporated an air vent, then I'd suggest replacing one of the pipe plugs with something that will keep out dirt, but let air pass through. Maybe one of those sintered bronze air breather filters? McMaster-Carr carries them, and here's a picture of one style:

http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/114/gfx/large/9833k11p1l.gif

Other than possibly needing a vent added, I like your approach. I think that I want to add remote reservoirs on my trucks eventually, and I hadn't considered something like an oiler housing or drainable air filter housing as a reservoir option. I also like the location that you chose: very easy to get to, but out of the way, too!

Amxhunter

Re: RE: Remote Brake Fluid Resivoir - My Version

nf6x said:
Does that oiler bottle have an air vent? !
Yep ! Drilled a 1/16 hole through the top of the White fill hole plug. Worked perfect.

But , Obviously this Resivoir Option is very limited for the guys with the Spring/Air Seats :)

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Re: RE: Remote Brake Fluid Resivoir - My Version

Amxhunter said:
Yep ! Drilled a 1/16 hole through the top of the White fill hole plug. Worked perfect.
Cool.

But , Obviously this Resivoir Option is very limited for the guys with the Spring/Air Seats :)
Maybe mine all needed new shocks, but I've found the spring seats to be less comfortable than the box seats. They just seemed to give the seat back a running start before it slammed me in the kidneys, each time I hit a bump.

dm22630

How are you keeping it secure under the seat from vibrations/etc? Is one u-bolt good enough?

I like the box seats also.....once those shocks wear out, you will wish you had a box seat!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is something I will definitely have to do here in the near future. While the master cylinder location makes sense from an engineering perspective, up and out of the way so it can't be damaged by underbrush or rocks, it does not make for easy checking of the fluid level. Only problem is, I have spring seats. aua

nf6x

Feral Engineer
maddawg308 said:
Only problem is, I have spring seats. aua
I think I've seen at least one picture where somebody mounted their remote reservoir on the driver's side of the firewall in the engine compartment, so it can be checked by opening the hood side door. I think that might be a good option for spring seat trucks. I might also do that on my wrecker even though it has a box seat, so that I can store junk in the seat base without worrying about it banging against the reservoir or its plumbing.

BTW, I have no idea what you look like or what your voice sounds like, but in my mental picture you look just like Mal Reynolds. I think that you should say "shiny" more, and put "powerful" in front of more of your adjectives. rofl

CCATLETT1984

nf6x said:
maddawg308 said:
BTW, I have no idea what you look like or what your voice sounds like, but in my mental picture you look just like Mal Reynolds. I think that you should say "shiny" more, and put "powerful" in front of more of your adjectives. rofl
LMAO, Having met Mike I can say he looks nothing like Mel Gibson ;)

Although for some reason i could see him wearing a kilt :lol: :lol: :lol:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
CCATLETT1984 said:
LMAO, Having met Mike I can say he looks nothing like Mel Gibson ;)
I reckon you're powerful confused there; Mal Reynolds was played by Nathan Fillion, the guy in Mike's avatar picture.

Although for some reason i could see him wearing a kilt :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey, whatever floats yer boat! rofl

Amxhunter

dm22630 said:
How are you keeping it secure under the seat from vibrations/etc? Is one u-bolt good enough?

I like the box seats also.....once those shocks wear out, you will wish you had a box seat!
Put 40 to 50 miles on it Monday and all seems well. The U-Bolt is not completely tight. There is a little wiggle room there. Dang truck is made of Aluminum :)

Now if I can get the Parking Brake figured out, and why the speedo isn't working and, why the Primary Fuel filter won't drain and ............

Having Fun here !

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone mounted theirs on the cab wall in the corner behind the seat belt doohickey. I think ODIron has a convenient kit also.