• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remove remains of instrument light cover...

riderdan

Next question (prepare for 100s more): anyone got a good method for removing the remains of a broken instrument panel light cover from the housing? One of mine was broken off and then apparently glued back in (there's glue on the bulb, even) and I now need to get the remains of the threaded section out of the housing. I've taken out the lamp, but can't seem to get a firm grip on the threaded part of the cover that's still down inside there. Hoping for a non-destructive method...

Bravojmc

Next question (prepare for 100s more): anyone got a good method for removing the remains of a broken instrument panel light cover from the housing? One of mine was broken off and then apparently glued back in (there's glue on the bulb, even) and I now need to get the remains of the threaded section out of the housing. I've taken out the lamp, but can't seem to get a firm grip on the threaded part of the cover that's still down inside there. Hoping for a non-destructive method...
First off thanks for your service!
I would take the four instrument panel screws out, pull the whole panel out enough to take the complete light fixture out
And work on it on the bench. If its completely glued in I'd just replace the whole socket. Eriks Supply has then pretty cheap.

Wire Fox

My instrument cluster was mud-packed, rusty, and rotten. I replaced my sockets, rehab'd the connectors for everything, and had to replace all of the brackets with fresh and new. After all that, it just seems that only the fuel gauge is finicky. All that said...

If you can't get it out on the benchtop and if anything looks a bit beyond salvage, I'd just remove the light sockets and replace them. I picked up my replacement sockets through an eBay listing put up by MacMotors. I got both complete sockets assemblies: sockets, hardware, bulb, and lenses (no rubber seal rings) for $40 delivered. Gives quite a fresh, new aesthetic to a simple spot. It's also a decent time to drop in a couple of LED, 24V BA9 bulbs instead...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks