• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing CARC

pbrstreetgang

I am going to strip my m1009. Right now it has woodland CARC, going to Aervoe Desert tan. CARC is really brittle and flaky in spots. How should I prep my surface?

Westech

CPL
I used a heat gun.. the paint comes right off. Then I sanded it with a DA sander with 200 grit. Blow off the dust.. wipe with a cleaner/prep and paint away.

ARYankee

Mine is peeling in areas as well... mostly on the bed on the under side. I was thinking of just scraping what was coming up off, then sanding it to level the gaps, then painting it. I'm not looking for show quality because it is my extreme deer hunting vehicle and every branch, rock, etc that hits it would make me cringe knowing I was scratching the paint.

Jones

If it's real CARC be very careful. The dust is loaded with all kinds of silica things that lead to respiratory problems and cancer(s). Burning releases the particles too.
The MSDS's are in the tech library but here's one to be sure.
It's best to wire brush and power wash the surfaces but if you have to sand it use a GOOD respirator mask, not a paint mask. Dispose of the dust as HAZMAT waste and vacuum off the truck-- don't blow it off with an air gun.

Attachments

jimmcld

In some places it just falls off and others, you can't sand it off. It's so hard that a DA sander won't hardly touch it with anything less than 36 grit. If you try to feather it, it leaves lines where it stops and starts because it seems to be two different consistancies from top to bottom.

The best method I have found, and it only works on heavy metal parts, is a needle scaler. It pops off in flakes and produces very little dust.