• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing civvy paint and retaining military numbers/markings?

DavidWymore

Hi all. Have some threads in the deuce section, but thought a specific one for this question might be a good idea. I have what I'm pretty sure is a USMC M35A1 and want to get 2 or 3 layers of civvy paint off of it and see what the USMC numbers and markings might have been, maybe even retain them, part of the history of the truck. I've tried scraping and sanding, but have not had satisfactory results. I should have stopped sooner. I've done some searching and found reference to using stripper, which I intend to do, trying it on areas I don't expect to be marked first. If anyone has any specific brands or methods to use, or info I may have missed, I would appreciate it. Thank You!

1A6820DF-0C16-4AFB-AFE3-30FFD5A43542_zpszudjlgl6.jpg

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hand block sanding with fine grit paper and it will take a long while. Should be on the other side of the hood in the same place. These work good also spon.jpg rinse and repeat

KansasBobcat

I used 400 wet, Was able to salvage enough to read it but enough to preserve for new paint job. The later decals are easier. I used lacquer thinner to remove covering paint which was not CARC.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to read what was under the civvy paint.

Now, if I held the gun on it longer the CARC was eaten away. But just a light touch and the civvy paint was gone and what was underneath remained.

I used a $20 harbor freight sandblaster, about 90psi, and just plain old sand (with respirator - no silicosis for me)

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goof Off http://www.goofoffproducts.com/ is a product I used to remove paint from 50's original enamel??? Semi-gloss Olive Drab.
Post #93 shows the shiny dash. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?52255-G749-preservation/page10

I also used it on a data plate to remove aged over-spray and as long as it didn't stay on too long, the black paint remained even with light scrubbing.

The Goof Off seems to curdle the top paint and leave the bottom paint bonded to the surface. Timing is important.

Our difference is your 'flat' paint and a deep, porous texture so a little experimentation is needed. A quick soak and a tooth brush extraction may be required.

I'm definitely more interested in finding original paint and markings under paint than I am covering up that history. It'll be good finding other gentle removing products and methods so, great thread :idea:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks