• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing Front Driveshaft? - with Sprag transfer case.

Sweet Rides

Hi guys,

Hopefully this is a fairly simple question to those with knowledge of the Sprag transfer cases. I did a search but could not find a definite answer to the following question :

Question - If you are not worried about having any drive to the front axle and you have a sprag transfer case - is it possible to remove the front drive shaft (connecting the Sprag case to the front axle) and drive the truck as normal?

By this I mean that the sprag will not make any issues for the truck and you can change/select whatever gears you like/roll backwards in gear with clutch down/clutch how you like/pull off in second gear etc etc etc - all the things that you would be able to do with an air-shift transfer case.

In this "No front drive shaft" senario the transfer case will not create any issues? Not bind up, not knock. not jam etc? And the two rear axles will drive as normal?

Thanks for clarifying this, it is something that could be useful to a lot of people who have sprag transfer cases and just want to use their Duece for simple, hassle free, on road driving.

All the best!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds even better :) - Are these desplined hubs something that is available to buy "off the shelf" somewhere ? Repro or Original item? Thanks
You take a set of hub caps and have the spline machined out .
They come up for sale in the classifieds from time to time . Maybe e-bay.

Sweet Rides

Cool,
You take a set of hub caps and have the spline machined out .
They come up for sale in the classifieds from time to time . Maybe e-bay.
I had a look and found plenty, for around 40 to 50 bucks each - so there seems to be a good supply.

I found some units from this supplier already de-splined, they are a little pricey but do look nice.

The big concern is the last line of their decription stating " These are not recommended for use on trucks with a sprag transfer case. "

Well... this is obviously a big concern! - Anyone have an idea why this manufacturer thinks these desplined hubs should not be used with a Sprag transfer case??

Cheers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks