• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

removing run flats from 395/85R20

2tierradelfuego

I mounted hutchinson 20 inch split rims with XZL 395/85R20 with run flats on my imported Mercedes ex fire truck. I am planning on removing the run flat inserts, to reduce weight and to be able to insert balance beads and have a few questions:

1. I saw some videos on how to remove the run flat by basically pulling it out. This puts a lot of stress on the inner edge of the tire. Will this cause damage?
2. Is it necessary to insert beadlocks B3040 https://militarytires.ca/product/hutchinson-beadlock-20″x10″-for-tubeless-set-up/
3. Will balance beads work on these large tires?

Thanks!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I mounted hutchinson 20 inch split rims with XZL 395/85R20 with run flats on my imported Mercedes ex fire truck. I am planning on removing the run flat inserts, to reduce weight and to be able to insert balance beads and have a few questions:

1. I saw some videos on how to remove the run flat by basically pulling it out. This puts a lot of stress on the inner edge of the tire. Will this cause damage?
2. Is it necessary to insert beadlocks B3040 https://militarytires.ca/product/hutchinson-beadlock-20″x10″-for-tubeless-set-up/
3. Will balance beads work on these large tires?

Thanks!
1. It can. Using a tractor with forks is easier to push it out. Any type of beadlock removal can damage the bead. Even ratcheting it down to size.

2. You don't have to use beadlock inserts unless you are planning on airing down to low pressure for sand.

3. Yes beads work. 16 to 18oz of beads

2tierradelfuego

1. It can. Using a tractor with forks is easier to push it out. Any type of beadlock removal can damage the bead. Even ratcheting it down to size.

2. You don't have to use beadlock inserts unless you are planning on airing down to low pressure for sand.

3. Yes beads work. 16 to 18oz of beads

Thanks a lot!

coachgeo

if youy don't look close... you will miss it... there is a modification to the one the forks he is pushing it out with.. look for the stud poking downward on the fork.

.... (use) forks is easier to push it out
Wes; have you found that there is a sweet spot where that stud should go on the fork that makes it work well? You recommended particular size of the stud?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks