• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing tie downs in m1101

dmark4u

Hello everyone I'm in the middle of applying line-x to my M1101 trailer and have ran into a small issue
I tried removing the tie downs and cant seem to find the proper Hex size bit .
I have both metric and imperial and none fit exactly the closest I found was #5 and it spun and stripped the bolt

Any input or tricks would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

dmark4u

So I figured out that it's a hex size 5.5 which is very hard to find in a socket When I did finally find one it snapped right away first bolt.Any ideas I spray them with penetrating oil several times prior My next idea is to heat them up don't really like that option but I'm out of ideas

SignalNco

Try some PB Blaster, or if you can find it in your area, Sili Kroil made by the Kano laboratories. I have used Sili Kroil to remove some very stubborn assemblies. Of course as stated above, a little heat wouldn't hurt either.

KansasBobcat

I agree with cyclic. Not worth the trouble to remove. I hate torx and hex head fasteners. They were designed by the people who make the bits that keep breaking. If you really want to remove them be prepared to drill out some of the bolts with ruined heads.

dmark4u

Yes I agree it would be best to leave them in and tape around but it wouldn't look good at all. The line-x will be black and the trailer is sand so I want to remove them and paint them black to match.
I've busted 3 sockets and tried heating the bolt to bright red and nothing. I will cut them out and replace with stainless hardware.
I don't know what the engineers where thinking when they put a 5.5mm hex socket on a half inch bolt to begin with.

cyclic

Easy, they were thinking...................................... you don't need to remove these to paint them.

Clean them up and hit them with some black epoxy paint. Let them dry and then bed line it.

Joneswill

Is it possible to remove the entire tie down assembly by drilling out the rivers and pop river a circular plate over he hole. Basically eliminate the entire tie down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks