• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repaint questions

tatra813

Looking for advice on a repaint. I'm going to have a mobile sandblasted come out and blast the main deck. The rest of the trailer paint is pretty good

I want to use the same paint and color. Any ideas of what this color is? It's 1995 vintage .

Im assuming primer the whole thing first including the spots where not blasted. Then apply carc paint.

What are options to apply it to the deck?
do guys ever just roll it on?

I have automotive style sprayer I've painted cars with before. Will that work?

Is Sherwin Williams automotive paint a match?

Thanks for help

Attachments

hplacess

Looking for advice on a repaint.

What are options to apply it to the deck?
do guys ever just roll it on?

Thanks for help
I do rolling with excellent results. Use a high quality name brand roller with a short nap. I use 'Purdy White dove' 3/8".

as far as CARC vs something like Behr, depending upon what you intend to do with the MV, don't rule out Behr.

whatever you decided to use, or who you apply it, good luck with the repaint.

DSM

Behr is good stuff at 50 bucks a gal. I have had great results.
Same here. I am most impressed with how Behr turned out. I've painted cars before and it seems pretty durable ever after one week. I painted the bed of a truck and hauled a load of old lumber loaded with nails one weeks later. Only ended up with one scuffed mark that can easily be touched up.

hplacess

use whatever you like. it is America where we have freedom of paint choices :wink:

behr is not actually 'house paint' - as people think of house paint from decades ago. the new high end behr paints are designed for use on multiple surfaces - including metal.

consider posting pics once it is painted with whatever you use.

update: copied the following from the behr site:

Use on properly prepared and cleaned coated and uncoated Exterior surfaces. Protection for Wood, Vinyl, Aluminum, Fiber Cement Siding, Metals, Brick, Masonry, Stucco, Steel and Fences.

http://www.behr.com/consumer/products/exterior-paint-and-primer/behr-marquee-flat

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want your truck original, CARC is the good stuff.

If you have a need to wash VX, Sarin, or Tabun off your truck, then CARC is the good stuff.

Other than that, there are much better choices...

(Been there, done that. Painted one with VOX CARC. No more...)

tatra813

If you want your truck original, CARC is the good stuff.

If you have a need to wash VX, Sarin, or Tabun off your truck, then CARC is the good stuff.

Other than that, there are much better choices...

(Been there, done that. Painted one with VOX CARC. No more...)

Thanks for your input... Probably don't need CARC. What other choices would you suggest that will stick to the original paint after good prep? Looking for very high end durable paint

snowtrac nome

napa has a paint code for card green I don't remember what it is but you can get it mixed as an enamel or 2 part polyurathatne which ever way you want to go. im wanting mine to go back to the straight 383 green than I will seal it with a simi gloss clear to look original yet still be easy to clean up.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your input... Probably don't need CARC. What other choices would you suggest that will stick to the original paint after good prep? Looking for very high end durable paint
Clinto is the guy to talk to about paint. He did mopar restoration before getting into MVs.

Here's what I want from paint -

1) prevent corrosion

2) resist scratching and other mechanical damage

3) resist fading

4) cosmetic similarity to CARC

5) ease of application

Believe it or not, the Behr housepaint does pretty well. It's a good solid choice for repainting.

Personally I have a tendency to use rustoleum rattlecan when what I'm painting is faded CARC. The durability and protection is provided by the underlying faded CARC. Rustoleum is ridiculously easy to do, and is an easy match when it gets scratched. (I don't think rustoleum is a
Fit for what you want to do )

Here's 2 pictures. One is a $3000+ CARC paint job professionally done. The other is a $200 Rustoleum paint job. Do you see $2800 difference? (I presume you can tell which is which?)

BestPhoto_20140717_192235_1.jpg

Yucktruck.jpg

Last edited:

tatra813

Clinto is the guy to talk to about paint. He did mopar restoration before getting into MVs.

Here's what I want from paint -

1) prevent corrosion

2) resist scratching and other mechanical damage

3) resist fading

4) cosmetic similarity to CARC

5) ease of application

Believe it or not, the Behr housepaint does pretty well. It's a good solid choice for repainting.

Personally I have a tendency to use rustoleum rattlecan when what I'm painting is faded CARC. The durability and protection is provided by the underlying faded CARC. Rustoleum is ridiculously easy to do, and is an easy match when it gets scratched. (I don't think rustoleum is a
Fit for what you want to do )

Here's 2 pictures. One is a $3000+ CARC paint job professionally done. The other is a $200 Rustoleum paint job. Do you see $2800 difference? (I presume you can tell which is which?)

View attachment 695028

View attachment 695029

The difference from my experience is when they sit out in the rain all year, the rustoleum will start getting rust breaking through on all the sharp corners first and go from there, it doesn't hold up as well as a high quality equipment or automotive paint. May look the same initially.

May be good for some things, but not what I'm looking for.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed. Rustoleum is only appropriate for use over faded but otherwise intact CARC. (Note I placed a caveat as not a fit for your purposes)

I think Behr is the choice for what you're doing. It'll adhere better than CARC....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks