• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repairing the Deuce M35A2 Injection Pump

dmetalmiki

Ok, so I clanged the Hydraulic head, and it leaked fuel into the sump.
I changed the seals (3) times!..Then found out the supplier conned us with miky mouse rubber seals and charged us for vitron seals.
I finally had the right seals in place..Did it start? NO!
It drove to where it was.
So, Why no start?
The small wheel driving the quill off the large wheel in the Hydraulic Head Had snapped off.
WTF?.. So today we took out the injector pump, and removed the offending broken shaft and gear.
We have re-installed the injection pump, timed up as far as the advance driving cog on the frond of the pump.
Tomorrow we are to try and re-install the driving cog...All the fuel lines and oil supply pipes are fitted,
Mystery as to why that gear in the hydraulic head snapped off.
The dreaded button?..No
The plate securing the driving gear in position?
A possibility.
Typical over engineered German (MAN) technology! Remember the WW11 Half tracks? 20,000 grease nipples and bearings which failed in the field.
M series multi fuel engine pumps, FLIMSY INSECURE Button, Clip, Retaining Plate..all miky mouse things that could and do go wrong on a regular basis.
Anyway tomorrow as said we will fit the pump driving gear and set the advance timing and try starting it.
Just so useful I have pumps cogs hydraulic heads and a load of other parts to hand.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to get on the same page. The quill shaft / small gear thingy in the IP turns the plunger drive gear on the head. We talked about this last time we do not worry about where the four bolt advance window pointer is or the harmonic balancer is when we remove the head. We just line up the head scribe mark to the head pointer and put it back just the same. As for what can cause the quill shaft to break that would seem like it would take a lot. The plunger guide that looks like a bowtie and in the head is what breaks most often because of a stuck plunger. Plunger is the thingy that goes up and down and compresses the fuel for the injectors. The up and down is run off the IP cam.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Well, Today we finished up fitting the injector pump. (Driving sprocket).
The timing was OK first time trying a start. Though it does "Hunt" like a maniac, But at least it is running,
We figure the only two things that can 'smash' a hydraulic head are, a), the button falling off, Though it has no where to go with the hydraulic head in place.
BUT, That stupid flimsy round plate securing the driving gear which drives the quill and is only held in place with a dimple/pop mark/punch mark into a dot on the case Can rotate when it comes loose or falls off.
Where does IT go?
Straight into the and between the cogs!.
We are going to road test it tomorrow, then SELL IT!
Ricks truck, And he has been trying to sell it for ever, The 'thing' just does not want to leave him.
I was so P...d!, because it drove to where it had the seals changed, so beats me.
As an aside.
I Did Not remove.
The winch, The Bumper, The front grill, The radiator, Or, The winch prop shaft.
Just the whole 'dang' injector pump.
And, Now my rotator Cuff injury is going to keep me awake tonight for sure.
M'ebbe tomorrow night..M'ebbe the night after that.
And the fully reconditioned Master Cylinder, And Power servo arrive tomorrow..To be fitted to my GMC M135............More 'OUCH!'.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks