• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replace coolant hard line with flexible?

warcow105

So I finally decided to dig into this leaking heater core but stopped the work when I realized I am probably going to destroy the soft line in the engine compartment that connects to the heater core. Since I can't get it to come off non-destructively I am going to get some heater hose before proceeding.
While I was in there I noticed there are a few hardline-softline connections for the heater coolant, has anyone replaced that all with flexible line? I figure it will be quite a few less possible leak points and it will be easier to work on than rigid lines.

Any thoughts?

Michael

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
That's exactly what I did. Saw those hard lines and thought 🤔.... Those HumV engineer's are over - thinking the simple again. I used silicone hoses and the special clamps. Routed them to avoid any rubbing interference to engine moving parts / brackets. Like you stated, or I say "less monkey motion" making extra connections and no need for special formed hoses. A couple of buck more to do and done for a long long time, plus cool colors, LOL

All the boy's like silicone... hose, CAMO

warcow105

That's exactly what I did. Saw those hard lines and thought 🤔.... Those HumV engineer's are over - thinking the simple again. I used silicone hoses and the special clamps. Routed them to avoid any rubbing interference to engine moving parts / brackets. Like you stated, or I say "less monkey motion" making extra connections and no need for special formed hoses. A couple of buck more to do and done for a long long time, plus cool colors, LOL

Awesome, that's what I was hoping to hear. I should probably take the same route and use silicone hose. It is 5/8 right?

Thanks!
Michael

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Not all the boys, I prefer good ol Gates safety stripe! IMHO it seals easier, does not require "special" clamps, and hoses should be black, the silicone is too dang shiny again IMHO.
But our differences are what makes the world go round!!

87cr250r

The EPDM (Gates Safety Stripe)hoses are sensitive to damage from oil exposure so if you have a leaky engine silicone will be a better option. Otherwise, they'll both provide long life at vastly different price points.

One interesting note about silicone hoses is that they are permeable. Water will evaporate off their surface but of you have oil in your cooling system from a failed oil cooler the oil will sweat through the hose. Quite odd to see.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Not all the boys, I prefer good ol Gates safety stripe! IMHO it seals easier, does not require "special" clamps, and hoses should be black, the silicone is too dang shiny again IMHO.
But our differences are what makes the world go round!!
Yes, the green stripe Gates products are a go to, USA standard that we grew up with.... and to add... if you can find them. The point being the work around of the hard lines to move water thru a distant of 22 inches.

I was messing with you on the silicone boys. Guess you like the hard rubber ones. LOL

As the world turns, CAMO

87cr250r

Don't judge a hose by its color. It's the material that matters. For hot water hose you want EPDM tube and EPDM cover or silicone tube and cover.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks