• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replace cracked head

AMX

How big a job is replacing a cracked head on a hercules multifuel? Any special tools required? Common pitfalls? Time wise for an above average mechanic?

sandcobra164

special wrench needed (that you can make) to remove and retorque the driver's side head bolts under the injectors. Other than that, pretty straight forward job for an above average mechanic. Pull the intake, exhaust and turbo, drain coolant level down and the get with it!!!! I'll be doing head gasket's soon myself due to leaking oil down the passenger side of my block. Most say it's normal for a multi to do that but I don't like it.

yamabro

I wouldn't like that either, yep other than that special wrench. Or just butcher up a wrench and trick weld it, and your in business

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How did you verify it's a cracked head? An external leak? There's been a few that have leaked from freeze plugs. To verify a cracked head, you're going to have to pull them first.

I only hoped my issue was a cracked head or a blow gasket. I had a cracked block instead. :?

AMX

How did you verify it's a cracked head? An external leak? There's been a few that have leaked from freeze plugs. To verify a cracked head, you're going to have to pull them first.

I only hoped my issue was a cracked head or a blow gasket. I had a cracked block instead. :?

it is an upcoming auction that I want to bid on, just reading the desription. We all know that could be hit or miss.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nope, sorry, no spare heads here. I do plan on getting a few spare engines though. Want me to check around for you?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a parts engine (or more accurately a no parts engine) that has the heads on it, but I have no idea if the heads are any good. The engine is in Columbia, SC, and I have a use for the can (to put another motor in). Since we took the water pump off this past Wednesday, the only other external 'part' is the turbo, which I'm going to get jwaller to rebuild.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks