• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

replace winch clevis?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got my deuce, it had a cable on the winch, but no end on it, just a bare cable. I have the clevis that goes on the end of the cable, I cut it off another winch. When I took the clevis apart, I found a brass plug that the cable wraps around, but can't seem to figure out a way to get the brass plug and old cable out. Any ideas?

Attachments

Last edited:

Dieselsmoke

You're going to have to take the piece in the third picture, stick it in a vice with the threaded end down. Take a hammer and a punch (probably a 3/8" diameter punch) and drive it out. It is a tight fit, might help to soak it with some penetrating oil. That's a wedge and when tightened is what keeps the cable in the clevis end.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, I've got ideas! A disc sander works best but a hand grinder will also work. Grind/sand the cable until its flush with the clevis housing. Mount clevis in a vice and take a large punch (just under 1/2 inch) and hammer the cable through.
Here's some info on what you're working on. The OEM for the clevis fitting on G-742 trucks is Esmet, Inc., and the style is Electroline, this is their "PD" series. Esmet's toll free number
is 1-800-321-0870. If you call Esmet than can probably direct you to a dealer
in your area should you need a new one!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info guys, I will take it into work and use our big hand press to press it out then. I was trying to pry out the plug, and no go.
Dennis

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell you that it is difficult to get that new wire rope (cable) to seat correctly. Be careful. Test it out before you try winching. If the wire rope comes loose while under load, watch out. You literally could be cut in half.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the warning on the cable break, I do a lot of rigging at work, and have witnessed broken chains, straps, and slipped parts. It is always a good idea to stay out of the way when putting a load on anything.

I got the cable seated, took a while to figure out exactly what I was doing. www.esmet.com has some good info on installing the cable. I took all the cable off the drum, and wound it into a 5 gallon bucket, then filled with kerosene. Will let it set a couple of days, then clean, grease, and rewind on truck. Took about a half hour to wind 200 foot of cable in a bucket! Cable had a little rust on the first wrap, and a couple of spots where it had been smashed, but not bad. No broken strands.

Is there a set adjustment on the brake in the winch? The manual calls for winching another deuce up a hill to test. Don't think I am going to buy a another duece..... yet.
Dennis

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks