• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement canvas or vinyl covers

YurtGuy

I just bought an MKT-90 that will need new covers which I will make myself as I make yurts and have all the machines, tools and materials to do it. I already have an MKT-99 so will have patterns to follow. It got me thinking about what the possible demand for replacement covers is for all kinds of ex military trailers and trucks etc. I won’t doing this until summer, but is there a demand for this kind of service?

YurtGuy

So which vehicle/trailer would have the most demand for covers do you think And is it canvas or vinyl.
The problem with canvas is it doesn’t last a long time if left out in the weather full time, maybe 3-4yrs, whereas Vinyl will last 10-15yrs.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need a Vinyl (Herculite) top & curtains for my M54A1 5-ton, 14' bed.

The usual $ is around $400, maybe you can beat that.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the MKT, the most sought-after piece is the roof assembly that traces around an Open MKT and accepts the side posts that later support all of the screens or winter walls. There are still travel covers and screens/winter walls floating around the auction sites as the MKT is officially no longer in service (Containerized Kitchen has replaced it). It wont be too long before all of these surplus supplies of vinyl covers dry up. That being said, all versions of the MKT use the exact same size covers so just having patterns of all pieces (especially the roof assembly) would be the key.

Valor

I just bought an MKT-90 that will need new covers which I will make myself as I make yurts and have all the machines, tools and materials to do it. I already have an MKT-99 so will have patterns to follow. It got me thinking about what the possible demand for replacement covers is for all kinds of ex military trailers and trucks etc. I won’t doing this until summer, but is there a demand for this kind of service?
I need a cover for my 14' M923A2 cargo bed.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
YurtGuy, I wish you luck and am happy to provide any advice and experience I can. I speak "heavy-duty sewing" and will help if I can. There are a couple of us on the site who sew more than recreationally.

To All: That said, comments about $400 5-ton bed covers strike a nerve with me. Skip the below paragraphs if you wish...

First: At $400, if they're not dry rotted, I say buy a pallet of them and sit on them! (In a climate controlled space.) If that sounds expensive, I can honestly say it's still cheaper than tooling and spooling up to make the same number.

Somebody once asked if I could make him a $400 HMMWV top. I said: Yes, but...does it have to FIT?

Speaking from experience:
I've had many people ask me to make trailer/truck/troop/cargo covers after seeing me sew HMMWV soft slant backs. I can tell you that $400 is impossible, for materials alone. Double it if the person doing the patterning and sewing expects any $$ for their trouble. Then add that amount in again for machine upkeep and other incidentals. Luckily, YurtGuy has machines. Even so, for those who have not done it, working with material that large is tedious. It is a challenge to handle the weight and bulk of several yards of material while trying to sew a straight line where you want it.

For all the sources of Mil-Spec vinyl I know, for an M54 or M932 the vinyl cost alone is more than $400, not including the fasteners and thread. I managed to find some medium weight PVC mil-vinyl two years ago at a good per yard price but had to buy 200 yards (truck freight =$$). All but one source of heavy duty MilSpec vinyl I know of has 100 yard minimum and another 200. The one that sells by the yard ($35/yd) is very slow to fill small orders. I searched for YEARS for sources that would sell mil-spec vinyl in less than full-production run lots (40' container load). Also bear in mind a full roll of MilSpec vinyl weighs over 150#. After taking delivery and horsing oneof those around, I'm done for the day.

IMO, it would take proven patterns, excellent machines and skill, bulk purchase of materials and perhaps some light automation to make fairly-priced covers under $1000, and one would need to sell dozens of them.

Can it be done, yes. Do a FEW people do it, yes. Is it straightforward, with an outcome ($ and satisfaction) that makes you feel like you didn't throw your time away, debatable. I don't see the number of military cover vendors INCREASING. (Not good ones. Compare a Blue Ox Tops' HMMWV 4-man top to a SECO top and the difference is noticeable.)

I'd love it if more talented cottage businesses stepped up and began producing custom covers for our vehicles but it is something you have to want to do. It isn't a good business model. One has to WANT to do it. Again, if I can help with advice and vendor information YurtGuy, I will.

Sorry for what probably sounds like a rant to 99% of readers. I guess I'm sensitive after running all the numbers involved in starting a business. I'm sticking with my day job. My sewing will remain part-time.

Bulldogger

Last edited:

YurtGuy

Oh I hear you Bulldogger, I know exactly what you are talking about.😀
I was curious as to the mil spec canvas or vinyl, I’m new to military vehicles. I did a search for that Herculite and it’s over $35 a yard. Very very expensive. For my camping yurts, we use white Sunforger Marine canvas, 60” wide, 10.10oz, it’s sold for $10-15 a yard. I buy about 5,000yrds a year so I get a great deal direct from the mill.
The problem with treated canvas is, if you want a color other than white, and to get a good price, you have to order your own dye lot which is 3-5,000yrds, it’s a huge investment.
I’m starting to make bigger, permanent, live-in yurts this year using vinyl, so that is why I’m curious to understand what the demand is. I would probably only make them if I can use the same vinyl, but it might be a bit thicker and less flexible, otherwise it just won’t be worth it.
I’d like to understand the mil spec vinyls, who makes them and compare them to the vinyl used in yurt manufacture. They must be similar. Vinyl used in yurts lasts 10-15yrs depending on environment.
I hope all the guys on this forum who store their vehicles outside, cover the canvas or vinyl. UV is their biggest killer, mold is another for canvas. It will last 10 times longer if cover it.

So yes please for help and info, please private message me. You can also email me from my websites: CampingYurts.com & WhiteRockGathering.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks