• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

replacing transfer-case seals

jesusgatos

I've got the seals, but I don't have any gaskets for the input seal retainer, or the top cover that I just removed to inspect the gears. There were also 9 thin metal shims between the case and the rear output seal retainer. What's the best way to re-assemble that? Can I use any type of spray-on gasket-making-compounds or anything to keep that rear output from leaking?
Pulled this from another thread.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got the seals, but I don't have any gaskets for the input seal retainer, or the top cover that I just removed to inspect the gears.
Gaskets - what for? With all the good gasket maker stuff out there.... who needs gaskets? :smile:
(Loctite 518 (anaerobic) and RTV, blue 587 are just good examples...)

There were also 9 thin metal shims between the case and the rear output seal retainer. What's the best way to re-assemble that? Can I use any type of spray-on gasket-making-compounds or anything to keep that rear output from leaking?
Yes, to re-use them clean all surfaces carefully with paint thinner, eventually use 600-grit sand paper to help remove rust and paint stains and either apply some gasket spray (lightly) or coat one by one with a solution of Indian Head gasket compound (thinned 1:5 with paint thinner or acetone/ isopropyl alcohol) and assemble still wet.
After torqueing down make sure there is no play at all to be felt on the shaft end. Those are tapered bearings and they need to run at 0 play - to very slight preload. Don't be surprised if you have to leave out one or two of the thinnest shims to achieve this.

G.

jesusgatos

Got those shims cleaned-up, and reinstalled all the seals & retainers. Reinstalled the transfercase before torquing the input/output shaft nut though, because the transmission jack wasn't stable enough to torque those nuts to 300-400ft/lbs! I saw the order of assembly in the manual, but I'm wondering if there's any tricks to make it easier. This is how I removed them.

jesusgatos

OK, got another question: why does my front output flange slide onto the shaft further than it seems like it should? It was kinda hard to get a good picture, but I hope you can see that the flange slides onto the shaft past the splines. I'm worried that I've done something wrong. The input and rear output flanges both seem to fit 'right'.

Bonus question: I had a little bit of a hard time installing the input/output flanges, because the seal-lips kept wanting to roll in/under. Is there any trick to that? Already got them all done, but would like to know for next time.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........... the flange slides onto the shaft past the splines. I'm worried that I've done something wrong................
Yes, somehow you missed to re-install that washer... :? (see diagram, #27)

...... the seal-lips kept wanting to roll in/under. Is there any trick to that?
Plenty of lube and patience...!:razz:
Seriously, a bit of good synthetic, water resistant grease OUTSIDE the seal will also help prevent corrosion of the companion flange seal surface.

G.

Attachments

jesusgatos

Weird. I guess it's possible that I lost something, but I'm pretty sure that only the input flange had that spacer behind it. Unless maybe I got the flanges mixed-up? I just remember thinking it was strange that they didn't all have those spacers when I took the case apart. Hmmm, well I guess I can take the shims out of my old sprag case...

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Which of the three flanges are supposed to have those washers behind them? And are they all the same thickness, or do they come in different thicknesses, like shims? Just wondering if I can pull the flanges off my sprag case and use those washers, or would changing washers between cases mess-up the preload?

jesusgatos

Been busy working on other projects, but this afternoon I finally got around to removing the three input/output flanges from my old sprag transfercase - hoping to figure out what I might have done wrong. NO SHIMS under any of those flanges. Only those big washers under the nuts. So what gives? I didn't think I lost anything when I removed the flanges from my new case, but I'm concerned about how it's going back together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks