• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Research Assistance with my Tug

DocThrock

I have a 1942 Clarktor 6 MILL-44 heavy Clark aircraft tug. I'm in the process of putting this fine machine back into service order. That seems to be the easy part. Finding any service record on the tug has not been easy. So I'm looking for suggestions how I might go about finding out where my tug spent it's decades of service to our country.

My tug is serial number H-1583. I know from the Product Identification Card (Clark has records all the way back to the 30s) that my tug was shipped to the Rome Army Air Depot in Utica NY on March 16, 1942. From there, I have no idea what happened to it, but I understand that Rome was a staging area for ETO?

The tug also has been re-badged with a tag from the Jeffersonville Quarter Master Depot (JQMD), and evidently the tug was refurbished and put back into service April 4, 1951. Some time after that, it ended up in Muncie, Indiana where it probably worked for Britt Airways and then sat for many years until I bought it last year.

Is there any way to track an auxiliary piece of equipment like this and obtain it's "service record"? Although I doubt that the tug ever went over seas, I would love to know where it bounced around, particularly during it's first 20 - 30 years of service.

Any help and pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: