• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reusable hydraulic fittings - worth the extra cost?

Reworked LMTV

I need to run some hydraulic lines to various components on my truck. I have deleted the air over hydraulic pump. I am interested to hear opinions on the following:

1. Are reusable hydraulic fittings too expensive to justify?
2. Where do you find best prices?
3. Are these fittings reliable?
4. Anyone purchase the dies and do the crimping themselves for standard hydraulic fittings with an atypical tool?

Thank you in advance for your reply. No snarky responses pls.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

Weather you use the re usable or crimp type fittings the hose and fittings must be from the same manufacture. If you use the proper hoses to match the fittings they are just as reliable. Crimp tools are the same you cant use parker dies with weatherhead products again the dies must match your hose and fittings or the connection could be unreliable.

runk

My experience with the less expensive hand crimping dies and tools is poor. There is a real learning curve, you'll probably go through a bunch of fittings getting the hang of it. (The $1000 ++ hydraulic crimpers are pretty awesome, but you can buy a lot of re-usable fittings for cost of the tool and dies.)

My favorite bargain source is Discount Hydraulic Hose-
https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/
More limited selection at Surplus Center-
https://www.surpluscenter.com/

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The military uses reuseable fittings. All 939 series trucks had them in their air systems that used cotton jacket lines. I have used them always as they are cheaper and not more expensive. Some shops will charge you 6 or 8$ a crimp so your hose is automatically $16 to start and goes up. 2 wire hose should be fine for anything you are going to use. Cheap on ebay for both fittings and hoses. All the fittings pictured are reuseables. 10 fittings and 40ft of 3/8" 2 wire for under $90.

Rig up a spinner setup to thread your fittings and it will make install alot easier. I use a lathe for putting my fittings together at home.

What type of pressure are you trying to run? Parker pushlok hoses are good for up to 350psi for light pressure applications .

Those fittings and hoses i used ran at 2500psi everytime i needed to raise and lower my trailer jacks and ramps. Reliable enough.

Attachments

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When your building something, especially in a field application, re-useable is best because it can be cut to length, & most of us that do that stuff have accumulated a stock of spares. Some fittings & hose, because of its size & the fittings, just warrants a trip to town. Its good though to get familiar with your local hydraulic shop though, & start out with their hose & fittings, because lots of fittings don't fit lots of hose. You can find good buys on the internet & farm sales, but nothing makes hydraulic hose cheap.

As above, there is a learning curve. Learning when to go to the hydraulic shop is part of it! If your at it very long, over the years, you'll accumulate a pile of the "still good" pieces out in the shed. Then there is the time, looking for the proper fitting, to go on the other end......

Reworked LMTV

Amen. Some people call us hoarders destined for a reality show intervention.

I like to think of us as unlisted hardware stores : )

When your building something, especially in a field application, re-useable is best because it can be cut to length, & most of us that do that stuff have accumulated a stock of spares. Some fittings & hose, because of its size & the fittings, just warrants a trip to town. Its good though to get familiar with your local hydraulic shop though, & start out with their hose & fittings, because lots of fittings don't fit lots of hose. You can find good buys on the internet & farm sales, but nothing makes hydraulic hose cheap.

As above, there is a learning curve. Learning when to go to the hydraulic shop is part of it! If your at it very long, over the years, you'll accumulate a pile of the "still good" pieces out in the shed. Then there is the time, looking for the proper fitting, to go on the other end......

Reworked LMTV

Just 2 wire to the cab hydraulics and small crane.

The military uses reuseable fittings. All 939 series trucks had them in their air systems that used cotton jacket lines. I have used them always as they are cheaper and not more expensive. Some shops will charge you 6 or 8$ a crimp so your hose is automatically $16 to start and goes up. 2 wire hose should be fine for anything you are going to use. Cheap on ebay for both fittings and hoses. All the fittings pictured are reuseables. 10 fittings and 40ft of 3/8" 2 wire for under $90.

Rig up a spinner setup to thread your fittings and it will make install alot easier. I use a lathe for putting my fittings together at home.

What type of pressure are you trying to run? Parker pushlok hoses are good for up to 350psi for light pressure applications .

Those fittings and hoses i used ran at 2500psi everytime i needed to raise and lower my trailer jacks and ramps. Reliable enough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks