• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rigging a chain fall

Ajax MD

I have a 1-ton chain fall that I'd like to use to hoist heavy items into the bed of my truck.

I know I could buy a small grove crane but that's kind of a permanent installation. I'm wondering if there's a way to set up a frame near the tail gate that could support at least a half ton. Something that uses the sockets for the cargo cover bows, perhaps?

If anyone has ever done this, I'd love to see some photos and get a materials list from you.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Member Lukesdeuce has a small crane in the back of his 5 ton. You might be able to look at pics from the Rausch Creek rallies and get a look at it. Not sure if that is a possible solution for you.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could fab up something that is like the hoist in the M6. Make it modular so it is easily removable. We had modular hoists for pulling heads and engines out of boats, they were aluminum and could handle a C series engine....like the ones in A2 5 tons...except with all the marine stuff on them, with the drive attached. Guessing 2200lbs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M6_Bomb_Service_Truck

Ajax MD

You could fab up something that is like the hoist in the M6. Make it modular so it is easily removable. We had modular hoists for pulling heads and engines out of boats, they were aluminum and could handle a C series engine....like the ones in A2 5 tons...except with all the marine stuff on them, with the drive attached. Guessing 2200lbs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M6_Bomb_Service_Truck
Yes, modular (easy to disassemble and stow) is what I'm aiming for. Thanks for the bomb truck idea. I'll check it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks