• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rim Modification?

Cleptomaniac

Looked around and didnt find these.

That being said i know its possable but would it be cost efective and what would be the pros and cons of modding rims like these to fit on a Deuce?

Attachments

ODdave

Yes, those are a couple of the wheels I made. Yes mud & snow can get in them but honestly its not any worse than the mud and snow that gets in between the wheel and drum of a regular deuce wheel. The openings alow for easy rinse out.

Last edited:

treeguy

Thanks, Gringeltaube. I've PM'd the OP with my current status on this project. In a nut shell, I'm on plan B-1/2! Plan A was the $4000 machine shop quote for 6 plates and that was before cutting out the original centers. Plan B was a conversation with a local machinist to take over/finish the plates after I drilled/reamed the holes. Plan B-1/2 is making them 95% to 100% myself on a Bridgeport mill that I have recently aquired but need to wire up and tool up for first.

Pics. will eventually follow!

ODdave

Exactly the same as the ones the OP posted but with less bolts. A3's have the smaller bead lip. I am trying to buy more but having zero luck.

Heath_h49008

Lief beats those wheels like a redheaded stepchild. I would not think twice about Dave's work or methods.

Now if I can just find 6 of those rims...

Edit: And by "not think twice" I they are really that well cut and welded.

Now will someone tell me what they originally were on so I can keep a look out for them?

Last edited:

treeguy

Heath, I think you are looking for FMTV and/or LMTV wheels. (same diff.)

- 20" dia. wheel
- 24" OD
- 12" or 11" wide - military or civilian (read some where that its the same only termed diff.)
- 10 lug
- 20 bolt studs (18 are long enough for bolting all three parts, 2 are short for CTIS mounting)
- dish out (not flat like HEMTT's)
- can be modified with 1/2" x 19" diameter plate like HEMTT's bolted to inside giving 3" B.S. (IIRC)