• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip to Ft. Bragg comming up in Jan...

Low-Tech-Redneck

After getting Walter's M35 home, and getting a better chance to look it over, we've discovered that the block is cracked, and pretty severely too.

Looks like someone forgot to put antifreeze in it :roll:

So, Walt has essentialy bought himself a 6 ton paperweight, but fear not! For he emailed us (Dad and I) out of the blue the other day and told us he won this....

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=739471&convertTo=USD

Keep ya posted as this develops.... :D

Low-Tech-Redneck

No info yet, Walt's a bit of an impulse buyer, as you may have guessed for his blind-buying of the deuce in the first place that we could easily have inspected for him, but, water under the bridge.

Don't know what condition this motor is in, there was an absolutely fresh one (zero mile, rebuilt in 1997, fresh paint on everything, even the hot side of the turbo) on GL, but it was in Colorado, and no truck freight company would even go near it. This was the closest one he could find and get cheap (sub $2000+ for every other LDT he found). It's listed as "G7" on GL, which is "Repairable" so I certainly hope it's in good shape.

THen again, the truck was ALSO listed as G7, cracked block and all........

Like I said, developing situation :D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was watching those engines closely. I hope this one isn't an 1800# paperweight. Bring help to carry it, with the can its over 3000#. Before you install it, light it up in the can!

rdixiemiller

Where is the block cracked? I have cold welded quite a few over the years with no problems.
As long as the crack is external, it can usually be fixed. Cold welding is a technique that uses cast iron plugs drilled and tapped into the block in an overlapping pattern along the crack. Westech has probably seen or used them. A lot of automotive machine shops use them. The plugs have an installation hex section that is used to screw them into the NPT tapped hole. Then a hammer is used to snap off the hex end, leaving the plug slightly above the block surface. Can't use this every time, but it has saved quite a lot of old tractor engines and irrigation pumps over the years. I have also brazed a few cracks up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks