• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

road trip with joediveguy

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to Leon's Auto Parts south of Culpeper VA on Monday. If any of you know the central VA area, Leon's is a haven for old iron, he has PLENTY of 1950s and 1960s cars in the back, maybe thousands of them. Some are good, some are rust buckets. He has a lot of newer stuff as well, he rarely cleans out the yard so there is stuff there from decades ago. Last time I went there was in 2001, and most of the cars I saw then are still there.

Joe wanted to try and find parts for his CUCV Blazer, and there are plenty of 1970s and 1980s Blazers there, he found what he needed. I asked about military trucks, like deuces, but the owner said he had none of them. He said there was a WWII Chevy way in the back, I didn't see it though but it's a very large place.

Things I did see:

- a handful of Jeep CJ-5s and Commandos that had a few parts left on them, but they were picked pretty clean.
- a Jeep FC-150 that had a few more parts to lend, sorry no pics on that one
- this poor early Land Rover, aluminum body, wasn't much left except the doors with also had damage. Forward of the cowl there was nothing to take a pic of, so what you see in the pic is all that's left

Anyways, still a good day picking at the yard. Big thumbs up to Joe for lunch and the conversation!

Attachments

joediveguy

Like Mike said, lots of K5’s and burbans. They were picked apart but there was lots of good stuff left. Things that jumped out at me were:
· Tail gate parts, power and non power
· Bucket seats and rear seats with the armrests
· Center consoles
· Some good steel hoods and misc other bits and pieces

Mind you, all the parts have been out in the weather so most would have to be cleaned up.

Mike, by the way, the CUCV got just over 15mpg for the 136 mile round trip. Not to happy with that number! I guess I am going to have to try it without the lead foot and keep it under 55!

Thanks for the company :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks