• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rockwell drivetrain ID information needed

rb70383

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum. Haven't posted here just lurked as I have always wanted a deuce. However I bought a 77 Dodge D600 and found a way to make it 4x4. I cut and pasted my post from another forum asking for help…

I have a chance to buy rockwells along with the transfer cases.
Can't find a tag on the the steer axles. Only number is on the diff casing
5800-w-465
One axle looks like the normal front hubs, the other has 4 individual levers that you pull up and flip over. They have "free" on one side and "lock" on the other. Never saw manual hubs like that.

Rear axle has a tag that has "C240 FHX3" has 6.72 ratio and 2 links hanging off it. I am guessing it's a torque rod for a tandem setup. Can't make out the tag on the second rear axle but looks the same with the rod. Can't find a number on either diff

One Transfer case has 5875-V-282. From what I can find its a t136 sprague style case?
Other one has 5876-V-178. According to the know all 'net it's a t138 case. A 5ton case. At least that's how it's listed on Boyce equipment's site

I am wanting to swap these into a 77 Dodge D600. Currently the truck has the F106 rear. With 7.17 gears. That axle looks like a giant 8 3/4 front loading with a center drop out.
So these any good to convert the 600 to 4x4. I know maybe 55mph tops but that's gotta be better then what the 7.17 are gonna run.
IMG_5627.jpgIMG_5614.jpgIMG_5610.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
6.72 sounds like a standard Rockwell top loader axle. The Tcase in the pic is most certainly NOT a 5 ton, but a sprague deuce, you can tell by the 4 bolt hole flange and mechanical linkage to hook up to the trans.

Those are good lock outs! if you decide you want to sell them, please keep me in mind.

rb70383

I picked up the axles. Guy threw in the pile of parts around them as well. There is an old GM transfer case with the dual outputs. I don't need it.
The other lockout is off the axle and broken. Like into pieces broken.

Are the sprague transfer cases worth the effort to use or not?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks