• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roscommon 12v conversion pdf link

River Rat Matt

Haha.

Definitely not what I was looking for.

MarcusOReallyus

I've never read through the Roscommon conversion, so maybe this was already covered, but just in case.

If you change to 12v, you will need all new cables. You are trying to do the SAME amount of work (same power required) with LESS voltage, which means you need more CURRENT.

Power = Voltage * Current. Drop the voltage by half and you must double the current to get the same power.

More current needs bigger cables.

And for those who are thinking that a 12v starter means you need LESS power, nope. You are still trying to do the same amount of work - turning over a 6.2 diesel engine fast enough to get it to start. The amount of work that needs to be done has not changed, therefore the power required to do that work has not changed.

We see quite a few people on this forum who complain that their trucks don't start well after going 12v. It's not because there's anything wrong with 12v, but I suspect their problem is they didn't get bigger cables.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The links to the Roscommon conversion come up as a Japanese ad for male pattern baldness solution..fyi.
I'd really be interested in seeing how they do it.
If I may ask, why are you considering converting to 12-volt only? There are many advantages of retaining the OEM 12/24 volt system. If the system is configured as it was designed, it works wonderfully. If you abandon the OEM design your truck will indeed lose value. In addition, 24-volt devices use exactly half the amperage as similar 12-volt devices. For instance, if you were to install a winch, a 24-volt motor will draw half the amperage that a 12-volt motor will. In fact you can abandon the slave plug and your wiring is already there for the winch. Everything on CUCV's are 12-volt anyway except the starter, so why mess it up? A 24-volt power inverter will run twice the equipment that a 12-volt inverter will run. Just my 2 cents. It's you truck, so do with it as you wish.

Keith_J

I have new spare isolated negative alternator and 24 volt starter..the wiring diagrams are nearly committed to my memory and are in the TMs.
I have a 24 volt Robo Tool electric impact wrench, a 24 volt 3kW inverter and a NATO to Anderson Power Pole adapter to run both.

I also have 25 foot NATO cables, nice to have running around with other FMVs.

Skinny

I kept my truck 24v for a decade. It worked fine but I converted for a few reasons.

- going with an M1010 accessory drive when I added AC, didnt want to deal with a second 555JH0 alternator, one is big enough
- it's the only truck in my fleet that's an odd ball system voltage
- found someone to buy my 24v winch I never used
- 24v starter apparently doesn't clear the bellhousing on a 4L80 or there is some type of interference, didn't want to get into it so swapped to 12v beforehand

Ever since I switched over I've had zero issues cranking at any point and never changed the high current leads either. I didn't follow any directions bit it's not rocket science either. I'm guessing it starts like any civilian 6.2 Chevy.

River Rat Matt

If I may ask, why are you considering converting to 12-volt only? There are many advantages of retaining the OEM 12/24 volt system. If the system is configured as it was designed, it works wonderfully. If you abandon the OEM design your truck will indeed lose value. In addition, 24-volt devices use exactly half the amperage as similar 12-volt devices. For instance, if you were to install a winch, a 24-volt motor will draw half the amperage that a 12-volt motor will. In fact you can abandon the slave plug and your wiring is already there for the winch. Everything on CUCV's are 12-volt anyway except the starter, so why mess it up? A 24-volt power inverter will run twice the equipment that a 12-volt inverter will run. Just my 2 cents. It's you truck, so do with it as you wish.

It's just something I've made up my mind to do. I'll be traveling often and if a starter fails, I want the convenience of getting a common 12v starter. Other reasons too. Just a personal choice. No disrespect towards those keeping their CUCV with the hybrid electrical. I see merit in their choice. It's just not for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks