• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Route Clearance Lights as Reverse Lights on M923

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Thanks! I'll order a switch and connector from Erik's.

I got the camera and monitor, and I'll post some pics when I have a chance; maybe tonight?

nf6x

Feral Engineer
After some further consideration, I think that those route clearance lamps are a bit too ginormous for what I want in this application. Here's another option I'm thinking about now:

5181.jpg

These are lamps with about 4" diameter lenses. They look to me like they use the same housing as the IR driving lights I've also seen, with a different bulb and/or lens. The above picture comes from the Saturn Surplus site, and I've also seen them for sale elsewhere.

I hope that somebody here has used this style of light before, and might know if the bulb they use is a standard size sealed beam for which I might find a drop-in LED replacement bulb.

I still owe y'all some pictures of the backup camera that I got yesterday.

I may still end up using those M35A3/M998 backup lights, but I haven't found a current source for the mounting brackets like I used on my M998 yet.

EDITED TO ADD: Mr. Google suggests that the housing pictured above might use a PAR36 sealed beam bulb. Can anybody confirm that?

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Thats exactly what I use for back up lights.
Cool. Did you bolt them straight to the truck, or were you able to find brackets that take advantage of the curved washer to let the lights be aimed up/down a bit?

Time for me to go check out your big M923 thread to see if I missed any pictures showing your backup lights...

wsucougarx

I usef some angled brackets to mount them. I was going to use one of the existing holes on the bed for the wire clamp. But found the lights "stuck " out too much. I put pics of the project in my 923 build thread.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Here are the pictures I promised of the backup camera system. I ended up getting a demo unit at a discount, so it's painted in the favorite color of the customer they were trying to woo instead of the usual black. I'm tempted to repaint it 383 green, but then I'll need to re-do the button markings on the monitor.

Both the camera and monitor are wrapped in die-cast metal cases. They're heavier and sturdier than they look!

The camera has a single cable with a 4-pin connector which carries both video and power. A button on the back allows the IR light to be adjusted in some undocumented way that I'll need to experiment with. A screw-in magnetic plug on the back controls whether the camera mirrors its video output; install or remove it to get the desired mode.

The monitor has a single cable about a meter long. It ends in four 4-pin connectors for cameras, two leads (one fused) for power supply, and four trigger leads which tell the monitor to switch to the corresponding camera when the leads get powered. For example, lead 1 can connect to the reverse light switch to tell the monitor to turn on and select camera 1 for backing up; 3 and 4 can connect to the left/right turn signals if side cameras are used, and then 2 can be used for another function. The manual is in Engrish, and doesn't fully describe everything. It includes a mounting bracket, a remote control, a shock-absorbing pad to be used with the bracket, and a plastic sun shield that can be mounted on the front of the monitor. Buttons on the front of the monitor allow setup, selection of individual cameras, split view with cameras 3/4, or quad-view with all four cameras. The monitor can be left in standby mode, and then it'll only power up when trigger leads get energized.

I also got a couple of camera extension cables in different lengths. The 4-pin connectors appear to be environmentally sealed, and one end of the cable has a vinyl boot that can be slid over the finished connection. I haven't tried identifying the connector make/model yet.

The camera view is a bit fisheyed due to the wide angle. I haven't tried it on my truck yet; I'll test-fit it with a big magnet to see if I like the viewpoint before I drill any holes. My target location is under the bed, just above the trailer hitch. I haven't chosen a location in the cab for the monitor yet. I want to consider all of the various things I plan to do so everything will fit in well.

The company was a bit disorganized in dealing with me. I think they're used to dealing with Big Contracts going to Big Companies, as opposed to selling single units to individuals. The sales guy mentioned customers he visits which would sound quite familiar to most folks on this forum. ;)

I think that the system is going to work out well, and I'll document the installation here and on my web page in the future.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks