• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rule update

Status
Not open for further replies.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to mention that one of the things I appreciate about this website is the relatively uncluttered pages, as in not requiring much time to fully load a page. When accessing through a dialup connection, this is a major concern. Now, if all you get is a suggestion to check the TM's, then that would be useless since that could take a long time to open one, let alone the right one on the first try.

I do wholeheartedly agree with teaching one to fish instead of giving them a fish. I like the suggestion to answer or somewhat answer the question and provide insight into where additional information can be found (links, search terms, etc.).

By the way, thanks for all you all do to make this a really cool forum.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
VPed, you bring up a point worth mentioning here. Many of us forget that quite a few folks are still on dial up. I remember the first TM I downloaded on dialup. It was TM 9-2330-238-14&P. Took nearly an hour. The reason I point this out is that opening a TM from the site each time you need it could be torturous. I would suggest for folks to initiate a download of a manual before going to bed and let it do it's thing. After a week you would have all the manuals saved locally and can be opened in a few seconds for future reference. Since my collection is now primarily CUCV stuff, I even keep copies on my phone. Just a suggestion from someone who remembers dial up downloads.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to mention that one of the things I appreciate about this website is the relatively uncluttered pages, as in not requiring much time to fully load a page. When accessing through a dialup connection, this is a major concern. Now, if all you get is a suggestion to check the TM's, then that would be useless since that could take a long time to open one, let alone the right one on the first try.

I do wholeheartedly agree with teaching one to fish instead of giving them a fish. I like the suggestion to answer or somewhat answer the question and provide insight into where additional information can be found (links, search terms, etc.).

By the way, thanks for all you all do to make this a really cool forum.
With TM's able to be downloaded for free there is no reason members shouldn't have them downloaded to their computer or for less than $10 bucks you can get them off e-bay on a cd . With them downloaded you just need to open another window and you have SS on your slow connection and the TM to reference.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
With that said, we still need to improve the content of threads. Which is why this rule change is in place.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With that said, we still need to improve the content of threads. Which is why this rule change is in place.
Members need to improve the content of their questions.

We should not need to beg for pertinent info.

If you think making a rule that requires full answers with proof is reasonable or mandatory or enforceable then you need another rule requiring a member ask a full question with all the required info included to answer their question.

I'm not sure why you choose to post this today but I bet you are the only one in the moderators/admin group that fully supports this idea.

We have discussed this before and it did not work(in reality)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Members need to improve the content of their questions.

We should not need to beg for pertinent info.

If you think making a rule that requires full answers with proof is reasonable or mandatory or enforceable then you need another rule requiring a member ask a full question with all the required info included to answer their question.

I'm not sure why you choose to post this today but I bet you are the only one in the moderators/admin group that fully supports this idea.

We have discussed this before and it did not work(in reality)
Agreed on the better formed question. But that's also the mention I made of you don't have to answer every question. It might even give someone else a chance to share knowledge.

I have been mulling over this for some time now actually. Between PM's I've gotten here, PM's from elsewhere, and long standing member input in person and on phone. And, no I'm not the only admin/moderator. However I am putting my foot down on the matter.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a moderator forum for discussions of issues like this and it would be nice if you participated there before making such rules and expecting us to enforce them.

Between PM's I've gotten here, PM's from elsewhere, and long standing member input in person and on phone.
These should all be discussed in our forum.

What is elsewhere? FB? You seen what they have said about you lately? Nothing on FB needs to be addressed on SS, ever.

Last edited:

tim292stro

To the issue of "did you read the TM" or "did you search?" - it's helpful to remember that not everyone is a computer wizard. My 90-year old Grandfather took to Windows 7 like a duck to water after a 3-hour training I gave him, but he's a retired electrical engineer, so he's an outlier.

I have actually come across people who when you say click on "file in the menu bar" - have no idea what the heck I'm talking about. They are out there. It is helpful to try to get to know what someone is trying to do before giving them some guidance, of course if one disagrees with what they are doing, participation is optional...

My 2cents

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do not know what a TM is if where they are, all you need to do when referred to them is ask where they are. There should be no repercussion for asking if a member has read a TM.

For years we have been telling members how to use them efficiently and properly.

Nobody is expecting anyone to be a wizard at anything. But we can help you become one if you want to be.

dmetalmiki

I did not know there was a moderator/administrator forum. But I do know I would prefer bickering (shudders) between them to be carried out there.

bonedoc

I'm a relatively new member here. I joined in the fall of 2013. I was a complete noob to this hobby. While not mechanically incompetent it was still a totally new animal to me. I never experienced any negative feedback from anyone as I asked questions and began to learn the hobby but have heard many with different outcomes.
I think what is being asked here is that people just try and be decent to one and other. Heated discussions can and do occur over differing opinions but some people are just trying to learn. I agree with what Patracy is saying but also understand what Doghead is saying as well. If we are asking for info people need to understand that the correct answer requires correct or pertinent info. On the other hand....as with some mechanical issues, that info may not be available.
I personally can say I've enjoyed this site, have learned a lot, been able to share in my experiences, and purchased my first deuce off a fellow member as well.

seano11

Thank you patracy maybe now new members won't feel like they are being bullied away as soon as they join the site. Lots of hate for this site that I've seen on Facebook over the past couple months mostly due to a certain someone
Glad to see your trying to put a end to it. Cheers bud

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks