• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Runaway Deuce engine

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys I am going to be getting my Deuce ready to sell this summer and its been parked in my warehouse for 4 years and not run. I will be of course getting new batteries into it and since this truck has never not been used on a regular basis under my ownership this will be a first. Can you give me any hints on what I can do to prep this truck for starting so as to avoid as much possibility of a runaway as possible? No matter what I do I will still have the means to shut the air off to the engine just in case! Thoughts of prep work to avoid this possibility very appreciated!!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Check the cut off cable on the side of the injection pump. It's just two screws holding it on. Make sure that slides freely. It can prevent it from starting, as well as make it run away at times too. If in doubt, pull the intake tube off the turbo, then have a big phone book, MSC catalog, or board around the turbo to be able to choke it off.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys for the info on this subject! Its also not that I expect it to have a problem its that I would like to minimize the possibility as much as possible to stop any issues before they start. The truck has always run extremely well and has been very well maintained. The last thing I would need to happen is to have a problem with a runaway issue as I am prepping the truck for sale! Just learning as much about this as possible before I start it for the first time in 4 years.
Thanks again guys!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as the fuel control unit assembly under the timing cover / shut down rod is working correct and moving free the shut down cable will always shut down the motor. Before I try and start any multi fuel I do not know I remove the two screws on the timing cover shut down rod and make sure the fuel control is working free to full forward or WOT and also full backwards or 4 o clock position or shut down position for stickyness before I hit the starter button. The reason people have trouble with the multi going to WOT on first start they did not check the fuel control unit assembly or they left the shut down cable pull in the cab pushed it and with it pushed it that allows the governor or fuel control unit to be in the start position or full fuel but because of gummy gum it will be stuck in WOT so well the cable can not over come the sticky stick fuel control. It is not hard to maybe every so often check the free movement of the fuel control and use good cleaning fuel additives to help keep the fuel control from gumming up and sticking. No over thinking it just check the fuel control unit assembly first and as said maybe a maintenance check thing once and awhile on the fuel control! Now if you were to leave the cable pull in the cab pulled out and the gummy gum has gummed up the fuel control enough not to let the fuel control go to start position when you push in the cable control it will just not start. There you will have to free up the fuel control but that is better than dirty shorts or broken truck.

Last edited:

ToddJK

I wouldn't even worry about a runaway engine. If the truck was well maintained, it will be fine. However, as others mentioned about the engine shutoff in the cab being left pushed in as to be in the running position, yeah, this can lead to a runaway engine due to parts being stuck in place. I always leave mine pulled out, but I've also seen quite a few first starts in a year all the way up to 15 years and no runaway happened.
I also think the gum build up is a cause of not using any type of solvents or fuel system cleaners, but some gasoline here and there will do fine for that.
The only runaway event that scares me is a turbo failure in which that becomes a true runaway engine and it's feeding itself off the engine oil. For that a hoodie or whatever will block off the air intake with the cap removed will work.
I say I wouldn't worry about it, but nothing wrong with being prepared for it.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't even worry about a runaway engine. If the truck was well maintained, it will be fine. However, as others mentioned about the engine shutoff in the cab being left pushed in as to be in the running position, yeah, this can lead to a runaway engine due to parts being stuck in place. I always leave mine pulled out, but I've also seen quite a few first starts in a year all the way up to 15 years and no runaway happened.
I also think the gum build up is a cause of not using any type of solvents or fuel system cleaners, but some gasoline here and there will do fine for that.
The only runaway event that scares me is a turbo failure in which that becomes a true runaway engine and it's feeding itself off the engine oil. For that a hoodie or whatever will block off the air intake with the cap removed will work.
I say I wouldn't worry about it, but nothing wrong with being prepared for it.
Yep about the same years no sticky on my Deuce when I sold it. The old Detroit 2 stroke with a stuck rack and then pulling the emergency shut down cover on top of the blower then that could suck the blower seals and run off the oil. If your fuel control is working free it is not going to stick next week or next year or maybe even never. You just need to check a truck that that you do not know if the fuel control is stuck or getting sticky. Just a getting sticky can also make hard starting or surging. Not having a run away is so much less stress then trying to deal with a run away then trying to block off air or shut off fuel if a truck does not have a emergency fuel shut off in the cab. Now our 250 Cummins had the emergency fuel shut off in the cab and I have never heard of a 250 starting and going to WOT on Steel Soldiers.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also to consider:
- a "runaway" is an engine that revvs up ungoverned because it runs on an alternate fuel supply, rather than the metered, controlled fuel supply that is normally used. An example is the Detroit feeding on crankcase oil that @Floridianson mentioned, or a conventional diesel engine that runs on crankcase oil that leaks through worn turbo seals. In this case the engine is ungoverned, will over-rev and eventually self-destruct.

- if the fuel control assembly is stuck open, the engine will instantly go to wide open throttle. Not good, scary and loud, but not a runaway. Similar to a stuck rack on the Detroit two stroke, the engine merely goes to max governed rpm.In a two stroke Detroit, that sounds like she is ready for takeoff.

Cutting off the air is the way to go and shut her down in all cases.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks