• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Runflat Lubricant alternatives

potter_95

I am currently running a hutchinson rubber insert on 37X12.5R16.5 MT tires. Few of my buddies are also planning on doing the same. The lubricant that is recommended by the hutchinson is their own bottle, which is pretty expensive, around $50 per bottle. is there an alternative to this lubricant, a cheaper one with same properties? i know this is a water soluble lubricant. If you have any recommendations , i am all ears.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The main purpose of the lubricant is to keep the tire from catching fire while driving on it at higher speeds when the tire goes flat. 30 miles at 30 mph. Of course at that point the tire is trashed and you need a new one.

I can't think of any situation in the civilian world where you would need to operate your vehicle at those speeds for those distances to find a safe place to pull over and change the tire or otherwise deal with it.

I haven't heard of any other products to be used in place of the runflat lubricant, but at that price very few of us actually use it, because there really isn't a reason to (unless of course you're going to be driving through Chicago a lot, then maybe you'd need those capabilities)

It is not required to have the runflat lubricant to use the rubber runflat insert. When installing the run flat any standard tire bead lubricant will work to slip it into the tire.

Gastrap

I smeared a thin film of Murphy's tire mounting compound around the inside of the tire, pointless I'm sure. I carry a spare, so I'll never drive on a flat anyway.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m considering medical ultrasound lubricant. Similar compound but not sure about water to gel ratio.

87cr250r

I'm guessing that you don't want to use anything water based as it will be very corrosive to the rim. You could mix the water with corrosion inhibitors. Seeing the price per oz, the Hutchinson formula is likely silicone based.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't waste my time with any lubricant. I've experienced my fair share of flats on a HMMWV and you won't make it far on a run flat unless your crawling. Even with the lubricant those tires heat up fast once they are flat. I made it about 10 miles at speeds under 5 mph once. I had to stop multiple times and pour water into the flat tires because they started to smoke. I'm lucky I didn't have one catch fire. Had to call it quits and wait a day for motor-t to bring me 2 new tires.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20-30 mph for 20-30 miles sounds good but they just don't perform that well. At any rate, I hope you get what you need. If I was goimg to use lubricant I would go with the lubricant recommended by the manufacturer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks