• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running a unimog engine backwards - Inadvertently

peakbagger

While moving a slash pile around today with my SEE, I managed to stall the engine and the engine restarted in reverse. I had read that it was possible but experiencing it is another story. The front loader hydraulics stopped running and exhaust started blowing out the air intake and it was obvious that the engine was down on power. I moved the throttle to stop position and it shut right down. I then restarted it and it ran fine. Just another learning experience with the MOG!

I had heard this can happen if someone coasts down hill with the clutch pressed in and then engaged.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, possible and not so hard to accomplish, just as you did it. First clue for me was that reverse went forward WAAAAAAAAA!!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don't let it run very long like that. While most everything else will run fine in reverse, the oil pump won't. You will have zero oil pressure while the engine is running backwards.

Speedwoble

I had heard this can happen if someone coasts down hill with the clutch pressed in and then engaged.
Coasting with the clutch pressed in is a bad habit as well. With the low gearing of the mog, the flywheel is overdriven in the lower gears and you can end up spinning the flywheel faster than designed. The flywheel can fly apart.

KsM715

Coasting with the clutch pressed in is a bad habit as well. With the low gearing of the mog, the flywheel is overdriven in the lower gears and you can end up spinning the flywheel faster than designed. The flywheel can fly apart.
How is that possible with the clutch depressed? If the clutch is in, then the drive line is disconnected from the flywheel. The pressure plate and clutch plate yes, but not the flywheel.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While moving a slash pile around today with my SEE, I managed to stall the engine and the engine restarted in reverse. I had read that it was possible but experiencing it is another story. The front loader hydraulics stopped running and exhaust started blowing out the air intake and it was obvious that the engine was down on power. I moved the throttle to stop position and it shut right down. I then restarted it and it ran fine. Just another learning experience with the MOG!

Don't forget to drain out the extra fuel from the tank. Of course, unless the tank was near full and you didn't run the engine backwards very long, it's a non-issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks