• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running on 803 over 24 hours now

smokem joe

Came home from being out of town for a death in the family on Sunday. We were only home a couple hours and a nasty storm came in. Really high straight line winds went through for several hours. State rt by my house looks like a war zone. Large trees uprooted and all the lines are down. This is why we keep the equipment in running order! Fired the 803, hooked the fuel line to a drum, and went about life as normal after that. It's been 30 hours now and not so much as a hiccup. I have several neighbors who are plugged into my house with some long cords who are now believers! They can't run the house from a 120v cord, but it does give them a couple lights and the fridge running

smokem joe

If I had any more left I could have sold them all! I have only found one or two at a decent price since gov planet took over

smokem joe

I assume you used to pull out of Lockborne? Much has changed over the years, hasn't it?
Yes. That was a close enough location that I could go inspect them ahead of time. Towards the end of gov liq selling them there about half of them that came in had locked up engines or other major problems that could be seen in 30 seconds. I could make a list of decent units, bid on them, and end up going back down to pick up 6-8 decent units that I would win. That way there was no shipping involved either.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
51 one hours would have cost me how much propane on my unit?
I figuring because the reason I prepared all this back up power is because last biggie power was out for 21 daze, not to long ago.
Wife wants power on and I prepare always.

smokem joe

Running a small load a lot didn't use that much fuel. I pulled from a drum so no way to know how much for sure. I will do a 4 to 5 hour run on a 10Kw load to burn off any wetstacking now though. That will use 4-5 gallons at that load

Ray70

Exactly... People always say " Propane is more efficient " Well, that may be so, when looking from a distance but it all boils down to the measly 91,000 BTU's Vs 139,000.
Hope you have a BIG propane tank.... because you won't be getting anything filled during an outage. Especially if it needs delivery.
I recently sold an 002A to a guy and his wife... his wife was wearing a sweatshirt with the logo of a well known whole-house generator install company.
I asked why they were buying a diesel gen from me if she worked at a generator place.
She said when there is an outage their customers are always running out of propane and can not get refilled until well after power is restored, and given the amount of propane needed to survive an extended outage, they wanted to go diesel instead!
Apparently employee discounts don't do you any good on a machine you can't fuel in an emergency!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have seen figures equating to roughly 3.5-4x the equivalent volume between diesel and propane sets. Energy density simply cant be ignored.
At this place in 33334 I have installed four possible feeds from the 57 gallon tank and another 100 gallons in bottles. When that runs out We will be out of need anyhow the food will all be gone. For us the propane generator, house connections and spare bottles is about an $1100. A loss that I can take. Would like having a diesel but then I get back to storing the diesel. Would really like an autostart NG setup but the gas line was not run down this street. Been blessed this year as all the hurricanes went someplace else. I do read and understand all the generator posts here in SS as they continually show me alternatives. If I was forced to power up with what I have my electricity costs would at least quadruple but for those times it would be worth it, the first week anyhow. Longest outage here was 21 daze.
I follow this site very often. https://poweroutage.us/

Hey I the guy that spent a lot of time figuring how to run a generator off my Deuce.
That big A** engine would have cost me nothing to fuel up and I could run it at 1800 rpm torque peak for months but I never got that project done, haven't seen anywhere that it was done either.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks