• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Russian Bikes

GoHot229

Dnepr and Chang Jiang were two simmilar bike/sidecar versions of a militarily used platform, the Jang being Chinese, while the Dnepr's being imported here probably by GI's overseas or some such way. Though I believe both were grey-market types. Neither were of the quality of the Ural, and I believe based on a flathead design motor and three or four speed. If I'm remembering right, three forward and a reverse. These bikes in my estimation are cool, for what they are, but not a daily driver as such, and the reliability was suspect, though I believe the Chinese Chang Jiang, a bit superior in reliability, believe it or not. I must say this is all speculation, from stories told from this guy or that who claimed to have had them. I would not look for or aquire either of these off-brands, as the parts thing would surely cause much greif.
Below are pictures of the Dnepr and Chang Jiang. At first glance....all these bikes look alike....and that is largly because the design was jacked from BMW for the most part, and in the Chang Jing, if I'm correct, part for part. Of the two I'd take the Chinese version, parts are STILL readily available, and only just a little bit difficult to locate and buy. Dnepr, well beyond the obvious appearance, I honestly know little mechanically, but am led to believe they rate third.
I gather that these bikes, or should I say the Chang Jiang is the sort that could have a hole in one piston, leak oil by the coffee cup, smoke and rattle, be draging parts and still get you there

Attachments

Last edited:

PorscheTech911

I think the bikes are great. A few guys had them in the reenacting unit I was in during high school. They are really cool and a great way into a WWII style MV. With some modifications you can easily get a-hold of nowadays they are great little bikes. I hope to be able to buy a CJ at some point in the near future. I'll probably skip the sidecar though as I'm not a big fan of it and don't need it.

Last edited:

DocAdams

Anyone here have a Ural bike or a DNEPR M-72?Seriously thinking about one.What kinda top speed do these things get(with side car) and what kind fuel mileage do they get with the small 750CC flat head engine?

I have a 2007 Gear Up and I love it! I can ride at 60-65 with a s/c pax. I run 92 octane. It is nothing like my R100

I think the bikes are great. A few guys had them in the reenacting unit I was in during high school. They are really cool, but reliability was poor, and they are dog slow.
The slowness can be cured by swapping the original powerplant for a pre-1979 (or pre-1980) R90 or R100 BMW engine. The Ural 4 speed trans can be modified to fit, everything else remains stock. Don't try to bold a BMW engine and trans to a ural - you will end up with 5 reverse gears and 1 forward. Don't ask me how I know this...

Terve Juha!

Oletko suomalainen? :wink:

Unfortunately, despite my name, I don't speak Finnish. My grandfather was from Karjala, and he spoke it quite well. Unfortunately he did not teach any of his children so the grandchildren had nobody to learn from. He was an amazing guy and an great outdoorsman, hunter and fisherman. One fine day I will hopefully be in a position to take a year long break from work. I always wanted to live in Finland for a year and learn the language.

Finlandia

Unfortunately, despite my name, I don't speak Finnish. My grandfather was from Karjala, and he spoke it quite well. Unfortunately he did not teach any of his children so the grandchildren had nobody to learn from. He was an amazing guy and an great outdoorsman, hunter and fisherman. One fine day I will hopefully be in a position to take a year long break from work. I always wanted to live in Finland for a year and learn the language.
Juha is common name in Finland. Do you know any other Juha?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks