• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rust on fuel tank 'filter screen tube' M818

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found more rust and white crud than i want to admit, on the metal tube or 'can' that sits under the fuel tank cap. The deposits have formed mainly where the tube and the bracket touch. I'm tempted to just remove this thing, because buying fuel at the pump, it's not likely the screen is needed. I would hate to have this extra crud mess up the truck.

Goose2448

One thing you learn when getting your pilots licence is keeping your fuel tanks full all the time. This is to keep air out of the tank. There is moisture in the air and when it gets cooler at night it condenses onto the top of the fuel tanks. This drips into the fuel which is bad no matter the engine, let alone at 10,000 feet. It also rust things, as you have found out. I have a habit of keeping things full of fuel because of this. Yeah, okay I don't fill everything up everyday, but if I know its gonna sit a while I do.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I generally have kept the tank almost full, but it sat a few months at 1/2. I don't drive the monster in the summer here, only start it every couple weeks.

Keith_J

Take it out and clean it. That is a reaction from water, fuel and air on the tin-lead coating. The strainer has another purpose, it can be pulled out and twisted to lock in the up position, reducing splashing. With current diesel, this also reduces foam triggered premature cut-off. But WATCH THE LEVEL, real easy to over-fill.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks