• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S280 on a M1078.. Need ideas for lifting it off.

JRKJeeper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m picking up an S280 tomorrow. The seller is helping me out big time and having a friend set it on my bed with a forklift. So that part is a bonus. But my problem is needing to remove it to work on it inside during winter. I have a dock outside my storage building. My thought is to drag it off the back with my truck and onto some 1000lb Dollie’s. The dock is about 10” lower than the truck so that will help. Does this seem possible? I can’t find any posts about moving the shelter around and ideas people have used. I bought an M1082 trailer which I’ll probably put it in when I’m done turning it into a camper. So I can keep my truck bed open. I’m hoping luck will be on my side and that I’ll be able to get it in my garage door with the trailer tires on CTIS emergency. But that’s for later. Any pointers or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’m picking up an S280 tomorrow. The seller is helping me out big time and having a friend set it on my bed with a forklift. So that part is a bonus. But my problem is needing to remove it to work on it inside during winter. I have a dock outside my storage building. My thought is to drag it off the back with my truck and onto some 1000lb Dollie’s. The dock is about 10” lower than the truck so that will help. Does this seem possible? I can’t find any posts about moving the shelter around and ideas people have used. I bought an M1082 trailer which I’ll probably put it in when I’m done turning it into a camper. So I can keep my truck bed open. I’m hoping luck will be on my side and that I’ll be able to get it in my garage door with the trailer tires on CTIS emergency. But that’s for later. Any pointers or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Depending on the model, weight is between 1200 and 1600 pounds. I almost wonder if you wouldn't be better off to slide the shelter off - and get it to a balance point on your dock - then pull forward with the truck. Hopefully you have something heavy (another vehicle?) to tie off to? You definitely don't want it to drop that foot in height, but I would imagine that two 8 foot 4x4 posts on each side will lift the shelter enough to get the truck out from under the load.

I know for sure that 4 four wheel dollies will handle the weight with no problem.

Fulcrum effect.

JRKJeeper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a huge pile of 4x4’s and I think you’re right. That would tip it up just enough to be able to let it down slowly onto the Dolly’s. I appreciate your suggestions!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont let the 280 drop at all unless you have some tires or something to soften the shock or you will damage it, they are a very well built shelter but do something to them that they werent designed to handle and you will have problems!
I always used chains on the top corners and a payloader with forks to lift mine in and out of trucks, I understand you may not have that but just be careful they are a big and not light unit!!

JRKJeeper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont let the 280 drop at all unless you have some tires or something to soften the shock or you will damage it, they are a very well built shelter but do something to them that they werent designed to handle and you will have problems!
I always used chains on the top corners and a payloader with forks to lift mine in and out of trucks, I understand you may not have that but just be careful they are a big and not light unit!!
I’ll be sure to take my time. Between 4x4’s jacks and dolly’s I should be able to control its descent onto the last dolly coming off the truck. Since this should only be one trip onto the ground and then one trip up onto the trailer I will be able to take it slow. But yes if it was an up and down a few times a season it would be painful! I do like the tire idea just incase. I knew I kept the old rubber off the 1078 for something! Thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks