• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S280 shelter removal from m35a2 without a lift, any ideas?

22/45

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a pretty good idea in my head, involving a winch to pull the shelter and a come along in the bed of the truck to control the rate of speed it exits the bed. I'd use two vehicle ramps to let it slide out of the back, then once it's on the ground I could put dollies under it and wheel it around as needed. Anyone done this before? If so, did you do it differently?

I have a truck that needs the shelter removed so it can be sold but we don't want to pay a local tow truck company to remove it due to the costs involved.

I've seen the threads of the self lifting frames people have made to take these shelters on and off. Good idea and worth persuing if the shelter was ever going back on.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a pretty good idea in my head, involving a winch to pull the shelter and a come along in the bed of the truck to control the rate of speed it exits the bed. I'd use two vehicle ramps to let it slide out of the back, then once it's on the ground I could put dollies under it and wheel it around as needed. Anyone done this before? If so, did you do it differently?

I have a truck that needs the shelter removed so it can be sold but we don't want to pay a local tow truck company to remove it due to the costs involved.

I've seen the threads of the self lifting frames people have made to take these shelters on and off. Good idea and worth persuing if the shelter was ever going back on.
Quick look shows some versions of the S280 at about 1600# so my question is are your ramps heavy enough? Should you "block up" the middle of the ramps to support the "weight in the middle?

I'm spoiled rotten having a crane here... I would hate to have your ramps collapse with the shelter about half way off the truck.

22/45

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick look shows some versions of the S280 at about 1600# so my question is are your ramps heavy enough? Should you "block up" the middle of the ramps to support the "weight in the middle?

I'm spoiled rotten having a crane here... I would hate to have your ramps collapse with the shelter about half way off the truck.
Yes, we would use cribbing in the middle to keep it from bowing.

I also spaced that I have a loading dock at my disposal. Without checking measurements I believe the m35a2 bed is about the same height as a dock. Dragging it that way would be a lot less trouble and less margin for error it seems.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes, we would use cribbing in the middle to keep it from bowing.

I also spaced that I have a loading dock at my disposal. Without checking measurements I believe the m35a2 bed is about the same height as a dock. Dragging it that way would be a lot less trouble and less margin for error it seems.
Yes Sir!

A dock would be a wonderful way to do that job!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks