• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sagging CUCV springs

cjkeeliii

I have a 1985 m1008 and the truck leans slightly to the driver's side. I suppose the leaf springs are sagging but can't find anyplace to buy new or used ones. I've also thought of re arching the current ones but don't know of any local shops to do that. I'm new to this site and it's great.

Thanks

acetomatoco

Any spring shop or good parts store can get you new springs... it is just a one ton chevy of 1985 vintage..and the local Chebby dealer will be happy to help you. rear 14071877 and front 460354 etc...there is a booster spring for the shelter carrier..etc.. all in your Chebby dealers parts book... or puter if they are not book literate...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't have a spring shop in the local phonebook, call a heavy truck shop(like Mack or whatever) or ask your town highway dept. Ask the service manager where they get spring repairs done. I just went to my local spring shop and had a pair of custom springs made up and installed on a pickup truck. They can build a set for any weight rating you want. They can arch the springs to whatever ride height you want.
You could probably just have your original springs reached also, or re-arched and add a leaf or two to them. The right spring shop can do magic!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You might want to raise your truck squarely on level ground with some jack-stands to check the frame. My 1009 had one corner of the frame tweaked by too much off-roading. A frame shop will check it for you for a fee if you suspect you have a problem.

AJMBLAZER

Skip rearching. Ancient technology and always results in the springs sagging back down after a while. Never seen it work correctly. Not to mention for the price you're most of the way to new springs.

Do a search online, there's several spring makers that will do this and even advertise their services.

I do happen to know that www.JCWhitney.com carries replacement packs.

AJMBLAZER

Yes they are. The stock front springs on these trucks have what is termed a "negative arch" that is best described as you referred to it. At best the stockers were close to flat when new. Lift springs are generally positively arched like a "smile".

m4A1

I don't know how good it is but i added a add-a-leaf on my m1028 front and it made the leafs sit straight. I do need to do something on the rear cause I think the front is sitting higher than the rear.

kaiser2help

I am only 34 And I cant believe at how many things on myself sagg. At least there is a repair for your cucv. As for me. I will try to leave the chocodiles alone. Good luck.