• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Schematics for Glow Plug switch and Wait light?

Barrman

You are attempting to open THE can of worms for CUCV ownership. Well, starter relay is right there with it neck and neck.

Here is why it is a can of worms:

The stock system works very well. Actually better than any other system GM used on the 6.2 and 6.5 engines.

The stock glow plugs and any glow plug besides the Delco 60G glow plug are not self limiting. Which means if you hold the button too long you could start exploding glow plugs inside your engine.

Speaking of exploding glow plugs. If you still have the 24 volt to 12 volt resistor on your firewall and it is hooked up. There is a possibility of a single bad glow plug causing the rapid failure of all the rest in just a few seconds. But, that is another can of worms.

There are replacements to the stock glow plug card available from members of this forum. So, if that is your problem, some retail therapy can solve it.

The -20 Technical Manual has a great step by step glow plug trouble shooting section and wiring diagram. The stock system can be fixed to work perfect without thought.

I can write all of the above because I have tried to re invent the glow plug wheel a few times myself. I currently have 4 6.2 or 6.5 vehicles that get driven at least once a week. Plus I have test fired a large number of them in a shipping can with hot wired glow plug set ups. I have never gotten a smooth start and initial run in a 70° room with a push button set up controlled by my hand. The glow plug systems do it better than us humans can.

Having written all of that. If you really want to do a push button. Install 60G glow plugs and ground the blue wire with the button.

MarcusOReallyus

Hitem, if you use a manual switch, you don't get a wait light.

You'd have to design your own circuit board for that.

As Barman indicated, it's brain dead easy to add a manual switch. I have one solely for backup purposes if the card fails. It's fully compatible with the original system.

(Which works just fine, and if your card is toasted, buy a new (and better) one from Hillbilly Wizard. Problem solved.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks