• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

school me, MEP-004

randini

I am looking at a MEP-004 15Kw. I have Off-grid property, where I want to have a cabin. Tell me about this unit. As I understand it, it is 400 cycle, right? In reading threads, it also has trouble with 240 volt, Right? I jusr downloaded the TM, and I am working through it, but I could use some advice from some one who has. or uses them. What can you tell me about these units? Oh also what a decent price?
Thanks

Randy

Westech

CPL
With 400 Hz you can only run lights....... and incandescent lights only. No motors, refrigerators, heaters with fans, tools, nothing. Why on earth would you want one?

randini

I have not seen it yet. Is there a Data plate? I have looked at Smokestk also, I have seen both stats 60cycle and 400 cycle. Is it changeable?
Thanks

Randy

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, they are one or the other. It's in the TM.

Isaac-1

For some reason they used the same data plate interchangably on the 60 Hz 15KW MEP-004 and on its 400 Hz cousin powered by the same engine (Maybe MEP-113a?) These generators are set up to produce 3 phase power only either high wye or low wye using a reconnection board. It is possible to rewire them for 120/240 single phase, but there is no real point to this if you are offgrid and are not connecting to existing wireing, just use 120/208 3 phase breaker boxes, etc. Having said that, this generator is likely too large for what you need, diesel engines do not like to be ran at less than about 70% load (see wet stacking) and like most military generators these are under rated and would likely be marketed as 20-25kw units on the commercial / industrial market.

Ike

randini

Maybe I am asking the wrong question. I would like a generator that;
1. Runs on diesel. (stores longer that gasoline)
2. Powers an entire house, if needed. Including Air-conditioning, dishwasher, lights, furnace etc. 15 Kw is large, but at times I could draw 60% max.
3. Could run for years, mostly with constant use.

I would bet the largest draw would be 6-9 Kw (A/C, Dishwasher, lights etc) I would not think a consumer style Air-cooled (generac ect) unit would last years. There are smaller Diesel types, but once again, I am not sure how long they last, most are made in china. These are over built, and should last forever. Also the cost of of these "stand-by" generators are several thousand. Also "stand-by" sound like not built for constant use.

What do You-all recomend?

flyxpl

If you do not have electric for heat I would go with a mep002 . You for sure do not need any larger than a mep003 .

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RANDINI, This is simple, add up all the power you think your going to use do the math then get yourself a MEP 10-20% larger than you will need. Make sure you get the MEP-with ASK. IMHO Diesel is the way to go. This fuel stores well with PRIG-D and will out last any gas generator on the market. Pick up some Farm fuel tanks if you can for storage. UG is the best but gravity feed is good to. But with AG tanks your exposed. 2cents

UG= Under ground
AG= Above ground

EDIT: Almost forgot, Dont forget to get the unit made to produce 60Mhz not 400Mhz you will ruin almost anything you hook up to it besides light bulbs.

Last edited:

randini

Ok Sold! What are the Kw ratings for MEP 2/3? Any Idea what a going price would be? And where to by? Most of you guys are on the WRONG side of the USA.
Oh, one more question...Can you use a WMO/Diesel mix?
Thanks for all the info!!!

JAYHAWK 1962

Clearfield Utah usually has some for auction on government luquidation. I have seen other good stuff thre also. Check it out. Right in your backyard.

steelandcanvas

MEP ratings are 5 and 10KW respectively, and these ratings are very conservative. The Onan engine is not a multifuel like a Deuce. Most are purchased at Government auction, prices fluctuate, and are different from one coast to another. Logon and follow the bidding, you might be able to find one in Clearfield.

Isaac-1

As others have said, do the math then you will know what you need, I also think a 5KW MEP-002 or 10 KW MEP-003 may be good choices , but keep your mind open to some of the better civilian models like the Onan DJB and DJC (same basic engine block as the above mentioned MEP generators). Like has been mentioned most of us around here buy from GL or other surplus auction source, these can be a dice roll though, even if they look good cosmetically there is no telling if the engine may be seized, etc. Pricing varies, but has been generally trending up the last few years (around here MEP-002's the appear is cosmetic running condition have been selling for around $1,200 and MEP-003's for around $2,000 on GL, having said that I think a member here posted about buying a MEP-002 in the south east a couple of weeks ago for under $300 on GL). Fuel cost is likely to be a big concern as you are looking at something around .5 gal/hr at full load on a 5KW generator and around 1 gal/hr on a 10KW, therefore life as normal when generating your own power can get expensive very quickly, it is far better when looking at off grid living to consider investing in a large battery bank and inverter for daily casual needs (lights, tv, computer, etc.), and only run the generator when needed to recharge the battery bank or run high load devices like well pumps, etc. You might designate a certain 2-3 hour block of time during the day to do all hour high load demands at once so as to limit generator run time, of course when talking about air conditioning all bets are off as it will be your single largest draw in most installations.

Ike

p.s. as to service life, there are many people out there running Onan J series diesels with over 10,000 hours between rebuilds with proper maintenance.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks