• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Score: Tree stump (1), mule (0)

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
update: tear down complete, ready for rebuild

Taking the front body tube was tricky. You remove all the bolts but the tube won't come out. if you remove the start button and the block where the lower basket bolt threads in, the tube can slide towards the drivers side and get clear of the axle housing

the remaining parts weren't that bad.

here are picks including what the inside of the drop housing looks like.

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

March 25th, 2010.

BigMike:

I always heard that Army Mules were prone to biting their drivers, this one seems to have bitten you in your back pocket.......;-)! Now I know why Unimogs are designed to go where the mules can't.... As I had one try to follow me up a East Texas sand pile, and he got nowhere near where the Unimog went due to the stiff suspension....
I hope yours gets ack on its feet, uh, wheels, soon and you install that special CIA stump locating radar on her right thereafter.... At east no one but the wallet got hurt...

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:lol:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
struggling with a bearing race

Bill Watson said this could be chipped out with a cold chisel. I've been chippen' but it don't chip. Any other suggestions????

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing you are trying to remove the needle bearing? Think what he is saying is use the chisel to cut the needle bearing to remove it.

stumps

I've had some luck on needle bearings that are in blind holes, by filling the bearing up fully with grease, and hammering a shaft into the bearing hole. The shaft acts as a piston, and the grease drives the bearing out of the hole.

-Chuck

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ditto to stumps, wear saftey glasses and a dirty shirt!

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had some luck on needle bearings that are in blind holes, by filling the bearing up fully with grease, and hammering a shaft into the bearing hole. The shaft acts as a piston, and the grease drives the bearing out of the hole.

-Chuck
Well, the cold chisel didn't do it but a die grinder did. I was super careful to just cut thru the bearing race.

There is an axle seal down inside as well. be careful not to hit the housing...like it didaua

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update

OK,

I got that $%#@ needle bearing out and the axle seal. Lucky for me the new seal was rubber encapsolated so it sealed the damage I did to the housing trying to get the other out.

I cleaned re-assembled the drop housing the the axle housing today. It slid together very nicely. I gave her a coat of paint and she'll be ready to re-stall next weekend.

Attachments

powerhouseduece

-Chuck

That makes a huge freaking mess! instead of using grease, get a huge handfull of toilet paper (clean, unused!), soak in water for a few seconds, then pack the wet paper in the hole and use a punch to pack it in. The paper will hold in the water and will push the bearing out. All the mess you have is a little water.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
update: No longer a three legged mule!!!

Got her all back together.

I installed the new housing and drop gear assembly. No issues there. I slid in the small body tube and gaskets. You may need to pry the two apart with a screw driver to walk the gasket in.

The long body tube was a different story. It's too tight to get back in there without dropping the gas tank. I soaked the hardware for 3 days with PB blaster. I don't like the philips head screws (they can strip easily). So, I dropped the tank about an inch and slid it sideways just enough to allow the body tube to slide in parallel. This is the only way it's gonna go in there.

After that, it was re-tighten everything, add a bit of gear oil and away we went.

She runs just fine and less leaks now then before the crash:razz:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks