• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Screeching Sound from Turbo?

s4mm4n16

Screeching on the passenger side of the M35a2?
I have started to hear a loud screeching for about 5 to 10 seconds when I start the truck. Yesterday the noise came back when I was stopped at a stop light and lasted about a minute. I turned around and headed home and it would come back intermittently during the 1/2 mile ride back.

This all started when I had towed another m35 about 500 miles and ran out of fuel about 10 mile from home. I had 5 gal of fuel and added it to the tank. I turned on the power and let the fuel pump run for around 2 minutes and then started the truck after about 5 cranks.

After that the noise was usually when I started the truck, but would only last a couple of seconds. My first thought was that I had damaged the fuel pump, but the truck ran fine after warm up. Now it is unpredictable. In addition on another trip with the truck, it felt as though I had no power and when I got home I realized that I was not hearing the turbo consistently. Also the turbo is not a whistler (I think it's a D model). I have pulled the air cleaner to turbo air supply pipe and have reached in the turbo to spin the shaft and check for end play. There seems to be none and after looking into the opening (what I can see) I see nothing touching the housing. I have pulled the oil supply tube and it is clean (maybe too clean) but it's not obstructed. I can't figure out where the noise is and would appreciate some feedback.

Many thanks for the help and patience, I did try and search the forums already but could not find anything leading me to a fix!

Cordially,

Sam

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bearing is usually bronze. Are you sure it is from the turbo? Running out of fuel has nuttin' to do with the turbo. Could be an exhaust gasket or possibly the bellows pipe. Look for soot streaks around the manifold, turbo mount and bellows pipe. Pull the intake pipe off at the turbo. Stick you finger in there....NOT while it is running, did I need to tell you that?..... Feel the shaft. It should have almost no axial, in-n-out, and some radial, up-n-down, but not enough so it hits the housing. Look in there. If the fins have hit the compressor housing, the turbo is failed.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked your belts? They will scream also, it could be your alternator bearings going out and the belts slipping.
:ditto:
I would bet the problem is not the turbo. I would also think the problem has nothing to do with running out of fuel. Check your belts for slippage and alternator, WP and compressor.

A

A/C Cages

I always have a problem with the loose nut behind the steering wheel always giving me problems.

Having spent my life repairing VWs to caterpillars I have heard your plight before.
It does sound a lot like an alternator issue. Bering or belt. Could be just belt tension. Sometimes if a belt is tight it will still slip and make a lot of noise like it is loose because it is too OLD. The rubber losses it's ability to grip when it is too old. If the back of the belt is not flat like new and or the face that runs against the pulley is very shiny it might be too old.
Probably the cheapest "guess fix" is a new belt.
While you have the old belt off try the other guy's idea of push and pull to see if there is a lot of axial play "run out" in the shaft or a lot of raidal play. Axial play might be as big as 40 thousanths of an inch and be considered OK. radial play should be about 5-20 thousands of an inch. I am using thousands of an inch primarily as an example of approximate dimensions.

If you are ever working inside the engine with the crank and pistons... every thousandth of an inch MATTERS a lot.

e

s4mm4n16

Thanks you all for your fast replies. Got a friend to help and they turned the truck over while I stood on the front bumper. 1st attempt produced a nice cold start up with no noise. I let it run for about 5 minuts and decided to shut it down. 10 minutes later they tried again. This time I saw the compressor belt jumping on the pully and heard the screeching noise. I don't see a way to adjust this belt and it looks like replacement means pulling the radiator and other things. Also, am I to look for a problem in the compressor causing hard start up. To conclude, I was sure that the noise was comin g from the passenger/turbo side. Fooled me, any suggestions on the compressor.

Thanks again, Sam

s4mm4n16

Oh, I forgot to ask why I don't seem to hear the turbo any more when the engin is running? I would swear I could hear it before. I have added 1 gal. of the Lucas oil treatment to the motor oil. Would that quiet down the turbo? Also, the engine runs smooth and sounds great.

Sam

Farmun

The two sides of the compressor pulley separate. And this action also adjusts the belt tension. The closer the two sides are to are to each other, the larger the running diameter inside the pulley, and the tighter the belt will be. Wrench made especially to do this. Check the classifieds, there's usually some listed for sale.

Last edited:

Rustygears

After the compressor belt, the second thing I'd look at is the water pump. That often dies with an awful sound and the belt screeches when the pump seizes. After it bit it may start to spin.

I almost scrapped an engine because I thought it was a main bearing. I cut the belts one by one as a last resort and started it up - no noise when I cut the water pump. Cheap fix!

AceHigh

You can remove the intake from the turbo and observe it running, just make sure nothing goes in but air! I had a truck I was sure the turbo was not spinning till I watched her run.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the intake pipe off at the turbo. Stick you finger in there....NOT while it is running, did I need to tell you that?.....
Will, Evidently you do need to tell people that:

Liquid Plummer Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.
Windex Do not spray in eyes.
Toilet Plunger Caution: Do not use near power lines.
Dremel Electric Rotary Tool This product not intended for use as a dental drill.
Arm & Hammer Scoopable Cat Litter Safe to use around pets.
Bowl Fresh Safe to use around pets and children, although it is not recommended that either be permitted to drink from toilet.
Endust Duster This product is not defined as flammable by the Consumer Products Safety Commision Regulations. However, this product can be ignited under certain circumstances.
Baby Oil Keep out of reach of children
Little Ones Baby Lotion Keep away from children
Hair Coloring Do not use as an ice cream topping.
Wet-Nap Directions: Tear open packet and use.
Dial Soap Directions: Use like regular soap.
Stridex Foaming Face Wash May contain foam.
Hairdryer: Do not use while taking a shower.
Old Spice Red Zone Deoderant Use only on underarms.
Zantac 75 Do not take if allergic to zantac.
Sleeping Pills Warning: May cause Drowsiness
Christmas Lights Warning: For indoor or outdoor use only.
Bic Lighter Ignite lighter away from face.
Komatsu Floodlight This floodlight is capable of illuminating large areas, even in the dark
Fire Extinguisher: Caution: Non-Flamable
Earplugs These ear plugs are nontoxic, but may interfere with breathing if caught in windpipe
Mattress Warning: Do not attempt to swallow
Matches Caution: Contents may catch fire.
Pepper Spray Caution: Never aim spray at your own eyes.
Auto-Shade Windshield Visor Warning: Do not drive with sunshade in place. Remove from windshield before starting ignition.
Fix-a-Flat WARNING: Do not weld can to rim.
Rain Gauge Suitable for outdoor use.
RCA Television Remote Control Not Dishwasher Safe
Pine Mountain Fire Logs Caution: Risk of fire
Triops Fish Food Warning: Not for human consumption
Home Depot Treated Lumber Do not consume
Hair Dryer Warning: Do not use while sleeping.
Camera This camera will only work when film is inside.
Silk Soy Milk Shake well and buy often
Slush Puppy Cup This ice may be cold
Nabisco Easy Cheese For best results, remove cap.
Swanson TV Dinners This product must be cooked before eating.
Heinz Ketchup Instructions: Put on food
500-piece puzzle: Some assembly required.
Beach Ball CAUTION: It is not a life saving device.
Chainsaw Do not attempt to stop chain with hands.
Swann frozen dinners: Serving suggestion: Defrost.
Hotel provided shower cap in a box: Fits one head.
Marks & Spencer Bread Pudding: Product will be hot after heating.
Boot's Children's cough medicine: Do not drive car or operate machinery.
Nytol sleep aid: Warning: may cause drowsiness.

I will also throw my hat in for belts or bearings on the water pump, alternator or compressor. Mine squealed a little like that a few times right before they died a horrible smokey death.

sw

Jimma

Mine was screaming the same way. I though Oh NO what' going to fail. It ended up being that the alternator / generator was loose. It slipped back toward the drivers side. I pushed it back to the passanger side and then tightened up the bolts. There is one bolt that is easy to get to on the top and another on the bottom. The bottom one was really loose and difficult to get to. It fixed the problem.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will, Evidently you do need to tell people that:

Liquid Plummer Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.
Windex Do not spray in eyes.
Toilet Plunger Caution: Do not use near power lines.
Dremel Electric Rotary Tool This product not intended for use as a dental drill.
Arm & Hammer Scoopable Cat Litter Safe to use around pets.
Bowl Fresh Safe to use around pets and children, although it is not recommended that either be permitted to drink from toilet.
Endust Duster This product is not defined as flammable by the Consumer Products Safety Commision Regulations. However, this product can be ignited under certain circumstances.
Baby Oil Keep out of reach of children
Little Ones Baby Lotion Keep away from children
Hair Coloring Do not use as an ice cream topping.
Wet-Nap Directions: Tear open packet and use.
Dial Soap Directions: Use like regular soap.
Stridex Foaming Face Wash May contain foam.
Hairdryer: Do not use while taking a shower.
Old Spice Red Zone Deodorant Use only on underarms.
Zantac 75 Do not take if allergic to zantac.
Sleeping Pills Warning: May cause Drowsiness
Christmas Lights Warning: For indoor or outdoor use only.
Bic Lighter Ignite lighter away from face.
Komatsu Floodlight This floodlight is capable of illuminating large areas, even in the dark
Fire Extinguisher: Caution: Non-Flammable
Earplugs These ear plugs are nontoxic, but may interfere with breathing if caught in windpipe
Mattress Warning: Do not attempt to swallow
Matches Caution: Contents may catch fire.
Pepper Spray Caution: Never aim spray at your own eyes.
Auto-Shade Windshield Visor Warning: Do not drive with sunshade in place. Remove from windshield before starting ignition.
Fix-a-Flat WARNING: Do not weld can to rim.
Rain Gauge Suitable for outdoor use.
RCA Television Remote Control Not Dishwasher Safe
Pine Mountain Fire Logs Caution: Risk of fire
Triops Fish Food Warning: Not for human consumption
Home Depot Treated Lumber Do not consume
Hair Dryer Warning: Do not use while sleeping.
Camera This camera will only work when film is inside.
Silk Soy Milk Shake well and buy often
Slush Puppy Cup This ice may be cold
Nabisco Easy Cheese For best results, remove cap.
Swanson TV Dinners This product must be cooked before eating.
Heinz Ketchup Instructions: Put on food
500-piece puzzle: Some assembly required.
Beach Ball CAUTION: It is not a life saving device.
Chainsaw Do not attempt to stop chain with hands.
Swann frozen dinners: Serving suggestion: Defrost.
Hotel provided shower cap in a box: Fits one head.
Marks & Spencer Bread Pudding: Product will be hot after heating.
Boot's Children's cough medicine: Do not drive car or operate machinery.
Nytol sleep aid: Warning: may cause drowsiness.

I will also throw my hat in for belts or bearings on the water pump, alternator or compressor. Mine squealed a little like that a few times right before they died a horrible smokey death.

sw
Well, the gene pool does need a bit of chlorine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks