• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SEA to PHX

aleigh

Hey guys, haven't posted for awhile. Been living in Europe and otherwise traveling around for some time which has kept me away from the olive drab obsession. Some of you may remember that I spent the winter of '15 in the Phoenix area. Well after some time I've decided to move back to the desert - a leading reason is so my LMTV will stop rusting! I was thinking Utah originally but ended up in Phoenix.

Bit of an adventure. Ran the LMTV down with household possessions towing a M105 chassis I keep around for a future project. Developed a class 2 oil leak but I suspect that the engine was overfilled and it was blowing the excess, but nerve wracking anyways. The best theory is the CAT3116 turns into a chassis anti-corrosion fluid application device if you overfill it ;)

Scaled the truck out at 21.6k pounds on the wheels and 1400# on the trailer axe. I got about 6.3MPG @ 55mph but only 5.6MPG or so rolling at 58. Big difference! I got into PHX when they were having the heat wave in the 120s, which is seriously oppressive in the truck with no A/C. I had to buy a double insulated thermos bottle to drink out of because otherwise my water / Gatorade would be 105 degrees as soon as I turned my back.

Other than the oil leak which like I said was operator induced the truck ran great, no problems. I'm happy to be back in the PHX area and look forward to connecting with the M/V people out here - trail runs! And if anyone needs help or whatever, a rescue (I've got a tow bar), etc let me know. Also looking forward to participating in the show in January again. I had a blast last time.

Some snapshots are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/adventioneering/albums/72157682923320461

Sorry if they aren't up to my usual standards - I had a lot going on, and took most of them with a phone.

Last edited:

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck, great photo's, grew up in Phoenix in the early fifties, when there was zero humidity.

AZDeuce

Nice Truck looked like a nice trip, enjoyed the pictures. I'm out in Buckeye, AZ. Lots of good and helpful MV'ers in the Phoenix area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks