• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sealing Transfer Case Halfs Without Removing

chevymike

Hi all,

This past weekend I installed a Gear Vendors OD unit and as part of this I needed to top off the transfer case fluid. It appears it was low as I had to add about 2.5 quarts of the 5 the stock NP208 takes (plus about .5 extra for the additional GV adapter). Well this apparently showed that the case halfs are leaking around mid case level, now that the fluid is higher than before.

I have read on a few other forums about people pulling the rear half of the case off, leaving the front half installed on the trans. Apparently you can slide off the case half without everything falling apart.

Since I would like to not need to remove the entire GV unit, adapter to do this, I was wondering if anyone has drained the transfer case, loosen up the case half bolts but not completely removed them, then slid the half back enough to clean and apply sealer and then re-tighten the bolts, so nothing is actually removed?

Thanks!

chevymike

I'd look for some longer bolts to help hold the rear portion of the case as you slide it back, just a couple to help keep it aligned, similar to what is done to slide the tranny back when replacing the rear main.
Good idea. I am hoping it won't need to come too far back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks