• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Secondary Fuel Tank

joshs1ofakindxj

I couldn't afford to put clean diesel in both my 50 gal tanks just any day. That would set me back $400 - $410 around here!

A

A/C Cages

It hurts to fill up the 33 gallon tank in my Tahoe. Good thing my deuce is multifuel and I have 55 gallon drums full of fuel at all times. I dont see how you all run the 5 tons that are diesel only. OUCH

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah I know. The cost of us moving to TN would be brutal with 2 F-250s, My 5 ton, 2 gooseneck trailers, and 2 cars. So My one F-250 might get sold. Let the other F250 tow both cars on one gooseneck and let my 5 ton tow my 45' gooseneck and try to pickup a Uship along the way or a couple of them. Saw a hay baler that needed to go from near me to about 40miles from my Memphis getting bids for $1800-$2200. Heck that would pay for 3/4 of my fuel costs.

joshs1ofakindxj

I got the rebuilt master cylinder and a short air pack installed tonight and will bleed tomorrow.

I also spent $30 at Advance Auto parts for switches and hoses and $30 at Lowe's for plumbing for the tanks. I got everything plumbed up and ready to go.

If the brake bleeding goes smooth tomorrow I'll hang the second fuel tank, connect the hoses, run some wires and be good to go.

Heck, I might even get the coolant filter mounted and plumbed!

:beer:

Jakelc15

The valve in the top of the tank that you got from me was for my waste oil line. I had a drum in the back of the truck with a pump and filter.
The tank won't spill from the cap because the cap isn't vented. The vent goes up to the firewall.

joshs1ofakindxj

Thanks for the clarification Jake!

Attached are pictures of the plumbing I did to both tanks. The first picture is the secondary tank and the second picture is the main tank on the truck. I couldn't find any pipe fitting at Lowe's to fit the 1/2" flare line coming out of the pump in the secondary tank. I cut the copper tube and slide a 1/2" hose on it with 2 clamps, then I put a 1/4" male air coupler in the 1/2" hose. The threaded end is 1/2" OD and the male air coupler end is 3/8" OD which is the largest size fuel hose they had at Advance Auto Parts. Perfect!

I got the brakes bled so now it's time to hang the tank after my little ham sammich break.

Attachments

Last edited:

joshs1ofakindxj

I got the tank mounted, hoses connected, and wiring done.

Under the fuel gauge I put the ON-OFF-ON switch that changes between tank sending units and right next to it is the ON-OFF for the secondary fuel tank pump.

Ironically, after all this work, I still don't have a working sending unit in my main tank. It reads full all the time. Anyone got a cheap one?

Attachments

fasttruck

M123s have two tanks: the engine feeds from the left and returns to the right. A cross over line at the bottom is provided to allow the tanks to equalize. If the cross over line valves are closed, then, as someone noted, it is possible to overfill the right tank.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Extra fuel tank on M36A2

Luckily, I have a M36A2 and enough room the put an extra fuel tank
right behind the stock tank.

Plan on getting another tank like the stock tank and welding the two
together after cutting circulating holes in ends. Now there would be
no need for valves, switches, etc. ; both tanks would stay equalized
and give a correct fuel gage reading.

Anybody have have a good, clean tank?

Thanks

joshs1ofakindxj

My tanks have been working out great.

I have noticed the passenger side tank will pump fuel into the driver said tank faster than the truck uses it, so I have over filled the driver side.

Something to watch out for.

JxxxOxxxE

How much are you guys paying for the extra tank and mounting straps? I've thought about getting one to use as a transfer tank for my diesel fueled machinery...

joshs1ofakindxj

I purchased 1 tank and mounts, complete with pump and sending unit and even 10 gallons of fresh diesel in it for $50 which I call a screaming deal. I also purchased another tank with pump and sending unit and some dirty insides for $40, with no mounts.

OverSizeHeavyHauler

Im just gonna run a switch over from the passenger side interior cab corner to the electric pump, and let it pump from the left side and my 75gal L tank...gimme somethin to do while im eatin my lunch and doin a load check...

let the truck rest and fill my gut, while fillin the stock tank.

JxxxOxxxE

I purchased 1 tank and mounts, complete with pump and sending unit and even 10 gallons of fresh diesel in it for $50 which I call a screaming deal. I also purchased another tank with pump and sending unit and some dirty insides for $40, with no mounts.

Dang, I'd call that a deal too....that'd be way cheaper than me buying a regular transfer tank...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks