• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

(?):Seeking Information about Halftracks Used By 101stAB WW2

Blentz

Good Morning Fellow Enthusiasts,

Does anybody have any information on halftracks being used by the 101st Airborne during World War 2? I have been trying to scour the internet for pictures, diaries, etc.. but have only been able to locate snippets of information from various after action reports in regards to transporting troopers across the battlefield.

I have talked to several Airborne vets from World War 2 who claimed they used them for infantry support and direct/indirect artillery support (Mortar halftracks,75mm AT Tracks,etc) but like I said, I haven't been able to find any information about that aspect in written form. I'm mainly interested in what markings would be stenciled on the vehicles, what variations of halftracks were most commonly used and what type of airborne specific equipment would be utilized/packed in the vehicle but Any and All information regarding my question is Greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much,
Brandon

P.s - Feel free to post images, excerpts or anything else that would pertain to my question in this forum post as I am sure someone else might have the same interest!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I don't think halftracks were part of their TO&E.

The 101st went into action in 1944 in Normady. I think the 75mm howitzer and 76mm gun versions of the halftrack only saw service in North Africa, Sicily and Italy and also with the Free French. I don't think they were used by US forces in NW Europe since this role was filled by the Stuart based M8 GMC.

It is quite possible that 101 troopers were part of a tank (armored infantry) task force especially around Bastogne. These vehicles would have retained the original units bumper numbers. I'd be interested in seeing what evidence anyone would show on this subject with proof the vehicle belonged to the 101 (cause I think they're mistaken or full of it). It is possible the 101 also may have "found" a halftrack and put it to use. I knew a unit in Desert Storm that "found" two Abrams tanks. Not even gonna talk about my unit but it wasn't as good as two Abrams.

Good luck but I think you'll have a hard time finding this info cause I doubt it exsists.

Blentz

Carnac,

Thank you very much for the reply and your information in greatly appreciated!

In regards to the TO&E, that's EXACTLY what I was looking at and they weren't off the list! Either these old vets were pulling my leg or nothing was recorded. I definitely agree with your assessment that they could have "Borrowed" these vehicles from a fellow unit and just
"forgot" to return them but I haven't read any cases of that actually happening during the war.

Unfortunately, a few of the vets that I talked to years ago passed away and I'm unable to delve into any more research because I can't find anyone else with any knowledge on this particular subject.

In regards to the Armored Infantry task force, do you think they would have changed the bumper numbers at all to reflect their supporting action? Bastogne was quite confusing, so I wouldn't be surprised if they just decided to incorporate those vehicles into the division.

Haha, I look forward to hearing that story of what your unit found if you are ever willing to share! Take care and thanks for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks