• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Semi Trailer Behind Deuce

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone ever used a conversion dolly behind a deuce to pull a semi trailer? I am looking at buying an M128A2C Semi Trailer and will need to get it home, 425 miles.

Backing up to put the trailer away will be an adventure. Is it possible?

Wish I had a tractor.

Anyway, any advise is great.

Thanks,

hot rod deuce

are you lookin to use it with the dolly or just get it home? Im sure it will work, im not sure how big the trailer is but it could be heavier than the truck (not a good deal with a dolly i wouldnt think)
Yes you can back it up, i have seen heavy haul guys back up with a "jeep" which it a dolly but with around three axles and another fifth wheel. BUT i wana come and video tape the first time!!:)

Either way good luck and we wana see pic's

Elwenil

what size semi trailer? A 28ft or pup trailer would probably be ok but a 48ft trailer or larger would probably be a bit long. Might want to check the local laws about length and special permits if it's not a 28.

Then of course there are all the braking issues. DOT would probably have a field day, lol...

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M128A2C Semi Trailer is 29ft long, 11,000lbs, 2 axle, box van, air over hydraulic. Tires look good, some look to be new, NDT's. It has a 12v lighting system & a 24v lighting system. There are 3 marker lamps at each corner: 1-12v, 1-24v & 1-blackout. Rear has standard 24v w/balckout with a 12v fixture next to it.

The conversion dolly is military as well, 1 axle, NDT's. Don't have all the details on the dolly yet, but it is in unused condition.

I can back trailers, no problem. But with a dolly?????

If I do this, I'll get lot's of pictures to post.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It can be done and it works fine. The 12,000# can be taxing to some deuces and whatever you do, don't unhook the dolly from your truck without first unhooking it from the trailer. Really bad things can happen. The dolly is probably the M197 or M197A1. Nice to have around. Heres a pic of an M45A2 chassis 530C class fire truck pulling an M118 trailer with the M197 dolly. Note, non-turbo.

Attachments

Desert Rat

Ken here in Houston borrowed my converter to get a 29 footer from the GSA in San Antonio. He had no problems backing up with the combination to my knowlege. Should be an easy trip.

NEIOWA

Desert Deuce said:
Backing up to put the trailer away will be an adventure. Is it possible?

Wish I had a tractor.

Anyway, any advise is great.

Thanks,
Has GOT to be easier than trying to back am M832 Dolly Set (no box) with an crewcab Chevy pickup. Dolly WB much shorter than the pickup WB does not work, at least for me (about 1hr ago).

NEIOWA

Desert Rat said:
NEIOWA,

I've been there and done that!!!!!! I'm not interested in repeating the process.
Welding a 13' frame between the frt/rr dollys to carry a MEP009B (200kw) genset. Hopefully the long wheel base makes it easier/possible to back (at 14000lb likely will not be with pickup).

I've never backed a full trailer. Felt pretty stupid unhooking and manhandling the dolly to get it parked out of the way.

rmgill

Mount a hitch to the front bumper. Makes it easier to spot trailers. I pushed a 2 axle trailer up onto another trailer easily with little frustration.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Backing it up is no big deal. It is easier than you think. Just put the tailgate down so you can see it start to turn. If you try to use the mirrors you can not tell it is turning untill it is too late and you will have to pull up and start again.

rmgill

Trango, it's something that a lot of British Trucks have. The driver can see the trailer, can steer it quickly to adjust the angle of the trailer and isn't working by remote and by feel over his shoulder through some one else as a ground guide. There's a PS magazine that even talks about it and mentions it as a limited but generally allowed solution. Biggest issue is that you have to take it easy and remember that the structure isn't as solid and you could bend it. I'd like to fabricate a better structure for my truck that has heavier castings or box section steel to hold it all together. Currently, I have a 7 ton hitch on the front of my Deuce that's bolted through with Grade 8 bolts to the bumper. Eventually, I'd like to get some heavy channel, drill holes and add a bit of aluminum block with 4 holes as a spacer. The channel will fill the entire space between the frame rail extensions. It'll never pull or push what the rear hitch will do, but for basic parking at low speeds of a trailer it'll work fine. the larger hitches that the Brits put on their trucks are good up to and including towing a disabled truck if I'm not mistaken as it's a duplicate of the rear hitch, swivels and everything.

Here's an example of a Bedford TM. Basically a 4 tonner. Why the US never went with trucks like this considering how much we operated in Europe and planned on operating in europe is odd to me.

NEIOWA

rmgill said:
Mount a hitch to the front bumper. Makes it easier to spot trailers. I pushed a 2 axle trailer up onto another trailer easily with little frustration.
Std practice at AF bases for loading trailers on C130/141/5 etc.

Desert Rat

I slapped a pintle on my front bumper to back the transportable shelter into tight spots. What a difference! MUCH easier. I'll post pics of it asap. I love the idea!