• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Setting belt tension with a Belt Tension Gauge TM 9-2320-280-2

SarahJ

Hi Guys

I was reading TM 9-2320-280-2, section 3-82, on adjusting the drivebelts. The text says to use a Belt Tension Gauge, but only gives a deflection force (90 +- 5lbs for a used belt), not any deflection distance. Am I missing something? Be grateful for any help.

Regards,

Sarah

papakb

Tighten the alternator until you have about an inch or so of travel when pushing on the belts by hand. You want it tight enough so it doesn't squeel when starting from a dead stop. Be careful not to overtighten as this loads the alternator shaft and causes excess wear on the bearings.

tage

Tighten the alternator until you have about an inch or so of travel when pushing on the belts by hand. You want it tight enough so it doesn't squeel when starting from a dead stop. Be careful not to overtighten as this loads the alternator shaft and causes excess wear on the bearings.
agree.
never found those tools to be repeatable accurate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks