• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Several Bridge Truck Questions

M1075

I think I need a bridge truck and have some questions. I have reviewed several manuals and have found bits of conflicting and/or missing information on the bridge trucks. I know several members have them and I was hoping for some help.

(All questions are related to M809 series bridge trucks).

1. There seems to be 2 different models, the M812 and the M821. One has the hyrdaulic A-frame bed (M812) and one has a cargo type bed (M821). Why is the operation of the M821 covered in the M809 series operator manuals but not the M812? The 1977 edition lists a M812A1 as a Rocket Launcher Chassis, and the 1985 edition lists the M812A1 in the dimension and weight tables but does not show what the truck is. Neither manual shows the M812 bridge truck. Why?

2. I did find TM 5-5420-209-12 on the site here which covers the operation of the bridge sections, cargo pallet and transporters (M812 and M945). It shows the ground clearance as 14.5". The M809 manuals shows the ground clearance of the M812A1 and the M821 as 13.1" (vs. 10.5" on a standard 5 ton). Any thoughts on the difference between 13.1" and 14.5"? All 3 have the same tires (14.00x20) and should have the same ground clearance.

3. I have seen different weights and payload capacities for the M812, M812A1 and the M821. Weights are 27,400, 21,501, and 28,880, respectively. Cross country payloads are 12,000, 16,000, and 10,000, respectively. Calculated gross weight would be similar across all three. Highway payloads are up to 26,000 for the M812A1. Can someone with a M812 confirm the weights on their data plate?

4. Why do some M812s have the flat steel grill and some have the rounded? I assume the tubular grills were used after the flat steel grills, but I was told the opposite. Any ideas?

More questions to follow, but I thought this should be enough to get me started. :lol:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The tubular grille was prone to rust through, and was replaced with the "strip" grille. All my manuals are still packed from moving - BUT I suspect that these trucks have fallen into the same pit as their predecessors. Many folks will say thay have M139 bridge trucks - they don't - they have M328 bridge trucks. A M139 is a chassis truck - that chassis with the bridge bed on it is a M328. Similarly, I believe the M812 is a chassis (by the way, variants of the M139 chassis - and the M812 chassis - were used for the Honest John rocket launcher).

Not the answers you were looking for - but perhaps clues for you to dig further. If no luck, holler again in a few days, I have many, many boxes of books to unpack.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

OSO

I'am looking at TM 9-2320-211-10 Operator's Manual dated March 1963 pg 14 sub sec. h. Chassis Truck, M139 the 5 -ton ,6x6 chassis truck M139 has 215- inch wheelbase 14:00 x 20 tires and dual rear wheels.This chassis is designed specifically for transporting bridge building equipment. I know my truck is not the model you were looking for . The book I have does not say anything about a M328. Does state about M139C and M139D designed for transporting the 7.62 mm rocket launcher and have axle gear ratio of 10.26:1 for increased tractive effort. Also a M139F this modified version of the Model M139 is designed specifically for transporting the 386-mm rocket launcher and has an axle ratio of 6.443: 1 . 2cents OSO

jh1990

I'm going to agree with David Dolye about the 812's, from what I've heard or read, the 812 was a 5 ton chassis w/ the A-frame bridge bed on it. the 821 was designed specially as a bridge truck, i think, i remember someone a while ago telling me that. as for the different clearences w/ the same size tires, i have no idea why one sits higher than the other. and about the 2 different stryle grilles the square looks better. just my 0.02USD

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Several Bridge Truck Questions

DDoyle said:
.... (by the way, variants of the M139 chassis - and the M812 chassis - were used for the Honest John rocket launcher)....
David mentions the Honest John, this image may not answer any direct questions, but may be a lead. The launcher was tagged M289.

Attachments

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Several Bridge Truck Questions

Yep, that is the M289, the earlier one - the later one with the short launch rail is a M386. Got a few boxes unpacked last night. The TM for the bridge stake bed is TM 5-2510-200-25P - no help there, just trivia.

As pointed out earlier - the M-number of the chassis is easy to find - most of the TMs list it - finding the M-number of the complete truck (when one exists) is harder to find.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1075 said:
I think I *need* a bridge truck
Uh oh. I've heard this before, and it doesn't look good for your future, or for your wife's plans of getting expensive jewerly for Christmas either. Someone has the OD bug!

OSO

RE: Re: Several Bridge Truck Questions

Well looks like I"am going to try to locate A TM 5-2510-200-25P for my truck so I don't get things wrong OSO :? :roll:

M1075

Thanks M139! I'm surprised the approach and departure angles aren't any better. They are only about 3 degrees more than a standard 5 ton. I would have thought the 1400s would have yielded more. What about using 16.00s? Who is smart enough to figure new approach/departure angles with 16.00s vs. the stock 14.00s? 1 or 2 more degrees?

Also, does anyone have a good pic of a M821 data plate? This one is hard to read.

Attachments

M1075

m139h2otruck said:
Here is a couple of pictures of our M812A1's data plate. Note that it says chassis and manufacturer is ConDec! No where on truck does is say AMG.
Well, I have found the right set of manuals for the bridge trucks. I think researching these trucks is half of the fun and it just takes me a while to understand. The bridge truck you have is shown in TM 5-5420-209-12 (and others in the series). On the cover of the manual, 4 different NSNs are given for the transporters. The first one says "MODEL CONDEC 2208 NSN 5420-00-071-5321". That matches your data plate. Now if I can only figure out what those other three models are!

m139h2otruck

With the "77" in the contract number, do you guys think that this truck is at least a 1977 or newer? Any real way to tell the age on 5 tons?

Lakeside

Cargo Pallet Question

I have a 1988 M945 Bridge Erection Truck, and need to buy one or more cargo pallets. Does anyone know where I can find one for sale? Alternatively, does anyone have specs or photographs of the underside so I can make my own? I have a marine consutruction business, and could also find a use for a ribbon bridge bay section or ramp section if you have encountered any. Thanks in advance for the counsel!

saddamsnightmare

October 20th, 2012.

It may be that your truck was rebuilt in 1977 from an older truck by ConDeco, as they did a lot of work on Dodge flightline tankers for the AF, so very likely they did rebuild contracts for the Army too. They did one experimental deuce with diesel electric drive and 6 sealed DC motors in the hubs, one each, as an experiment. Wonder where that truck got off to?:-?

Reactions: HDN
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks