• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SF-97 Buying Truck from Previous owner who never titled?

barkster

I'm looking at a m925a2 that a guy bought a bunch of to resell, will I have any issues using his sf97 form to title/register in my name? Not sure his name is on the form or not or what is involved. I just don't want any surprises. Thanks

Gunzy

If he has the proper transfer paperwork transfering it over to you it shouldn't be too big of a deal. You may want to contact the Texas DMV and check with them concerning the paperwork and the transfer of it to you.

machinist75

I think I read somewhere it's not too big of a deal if he has a dealers liscence, I could be remembering wrong though. A lot of people resaleing them don't like the added expense of titleing them first.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This might be a buyers minefield. If he is a registered dealer, he "might" be able to reassign but don't take my word on it. Caveat Emptor

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Under today's environment, most states consider this title skipping and frown upon it. Contact your DMV and see what they require.

Gunzy

I think I read somewhere it's not too big of a deal if he has a dealers liscence, I could be remembering wrong though. A lot of people resaleing them don't like the added expense of titleing them first.
Here in Utah it only cost $6 to title only as the sales taxes were paid on the sale. On the other hand you may not have a title for 4 to 6 weeks.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barkster YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A KIND OF BIG DEAL WITH THIS ONE!!!! Ask me how I know???? I recently purchased an M920 from a fellow in CA and it came with the SF97 all the Govt. paperwork and a bill of sale from him showing the date and what I paid for the truck, all is good right? I went into our local DMV to get it titled and licensed and the lady behind the desk very directly told me that it was impossible for this guy to even sell me the truck since HE NEVER OWNED IT, and I was in violation of the law by even having it in my possession, Seriously that is what she told me! I got bak to my office and called the state DMV and explained my situation to a very nice lady in the DOT and she emailed me all the forms that were needed in order to make this happen. I had to send the State approved purchase agreement to the seller and have him fill it out and have it notarized and sent back to me. I had to get an IRS 2290 form registered for the tractor. Then fill out all the license requirements for the truck and include 1600.00 and send it all into this lady at the state. I did all this and about 2 weeks later I had the title and a week after that I had the plates. All of this was because the fellow I bought the truck from did NOT title it in CA before I bought it! It was far more hassle than what I was used to BUT it can be done!
Good luck
Karl

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you're registering a truck to haul more than 55,000lb, a form 2290 isn't needed. There isn't even a box to fill in on the form for any weights under 55,000lb.

To the original question, as has been said, it's a state issue. You can forget registering a truck on a sf97 with somebody else name in TN.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks