• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SF-97 for "Serial Number Unknown" M101A2

Ratch

Anyone know what the procedure for acquiring an SF-97 is with GL for a trailer with no serial number?
I've asked them twice, and the first response I got was "It's the customer's responsibility to inspect prior to bidding"; although I wouldn't need to since the ad said "serial number unknown"... Second response was "go to 'my account' and forms, then request sf-97". They don't seem to understand I want to know how they're going to handle my sf-97 before I shell out $60. If I get something back that says "unknown" as the vin, the document is kind of useless.

Can I stamp a random number on it and request an SF97 with that as "found" on it? :eek::grin:

wsucougarx

Is there nothing on your trailer? Dataplate, stencilled serial # etc? I got a trailer with unknown VIN. The dataplate was blank but found that they stenciled in the serial # and CARNAC was able to fill in the spaces for the rest of the SF97

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you picked the trailer up yet or are you just going by what the auction description says? The reason I ask is that you can't apply for a sf97 before you pick up the trailer. Also, after you pick it up you can look for a s/n on it. Just because the description says " s/n unknown" doesn't mean there isn't one there. It could just mean the GL guy is just too lazy to look.

Nonotagain

While some may frown on this method, you could always purchase a replacement data plate and make up your own VIN number.

All too frequently items sold on Government Liquidation have no serial numbers. This might be something as simple as the data plate has been sand blasted due to use or the data plate was removed so that a unit that lost a piece of equipment could get it off the books.

Look at all the trailers that are listed as 1990 or newer with manufacturers names that haven't been in business since well before the date listed. As an example, all of the Pribbs M105a2 trailers. Pribbs never produced the M105a2, only the M105a3.

Ratch

I picked the trailer up a while back, but just gave it to my brother in law yesterday, and we figured out he wants a title for it.
I checked it over completely, it has no serial. The cargo box data plate has pretty much been completely smoothed out if a serial ever was there. The frame serial just isn't there.

So by what you guys are saying, it sounds like I could "find" the proper vin on the trailer and request an SF-97 for that, with GL assuming their guy in the field missed it...?

Scott M, I'm in PA also. I was going to try the homebuilt route, but it has to be inspected. That's apparently more than the SF-97, although it would help me avoid the title cost on top of the SF-97 I guess. But unless I do some cutting and sandblasting, I don't think it will pass for home built...

Ressoldier

Not sure of PA, I hear they are a PITA to register things there. In CA for me to register as Homebuilt I need to bring in receipts and detailed descriptions of parts used. This is so they can put a proper rating on the trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks