• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shakespeare SF-3512 base problems

papakb

I'm now working on my 4th SF-3512 antenna base on my M996A1 HMMWV ambulance. The coax between the base N connector and the BMA connector to the mast keeps opening up. I've spoken to Shakespeare about this and they were more than willing to work with me on the problem. Great people! I think that the coax cable is about 1/4" too short in the spring and when the antenna is pulled into the transit position it pulls the coax out of the connector.

Another problem I've found is that the drain hole in the base plate is too small and corrodes closed fairly quickly. It's also on the "ridge" and not down in the valley where the N connector mounts. I opened the one hole and drilled another one down in the lower section to male sure all the water can get out of the base. There are a couple of easy fixes for this and it's easy to get the base apart, 6 bolts and the retaining nut on the N connector and it all comes apart. Drill a 1/16" weep hole in the base plate inside the O ring circle, or you can use some viscous RTV like windshield sealer and just fill the base of the spring with it to exclude any water from puddling inside.

Attachments

Last edited:

papakb

I found a company down in Los Angeles that's willing to make up the coax a cm longer to correct the breaking problem. The BMA connectors are a little hard to find but available and the N connectors are easily found online.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks