• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sheared bolts on generator

morford49

I am still going with Ike. The bearing shows no sign of wear or siezing. What is left of the bolts are still protruding about 1/8 in through the holes of the rotor showing that the were long enough and had not backed out. I ran the engine at least 15 minuites trying to see why there was no output. Could not tell that the generator was not turning until I tried to turn by hand to check the diodes. Boy, was I surprised. The windings seem to be fine and I will let everyone know the result when I stick it back together. It will be this weekend before I get the chance. I still wonder about the multiple plates. Thanks to all for the help. .

ETN550

I am still going with Ike. The bearing shows no sign of wear or siezing. What is left of the bolts are still protruding about 1/8 in through the holes of the rotor showing that the were long enough and had not backed out. I ran the engine at least 15 minuites trying to see why there was no output. Could not tell that the generator was not turning until I tried to turn by hand to check the diodes. Boy, was I surprised. The windings seem to be fine and I will let everyone know the result when I stick it back together. It will be this weekend before I get the chance. I still wonder about the multiple plates. Thanks to all for the help. .
Yes, confirm the correct number of flex plates prior to assembly. If one required then three is a likely problem. If three required then good possibility it will be just fine when re-assembled.

derf

Is it possible the bolts were hand tightened and then the assembler forgot to torque them?
Add that to a sudden loading and/or unloading and you might get enough force to shear them.

morford49

:):):) Got everything back together, cranked it up, and POWER!!!. I used the three flex plates that came out of it and everything seems to be working fine. No vibration. I want to thank all of you for the valuable help. It's always helpful to have a hand to hold when you're working on a 10KW generator.

derf

I'd bet the guy who last put it together forgot (or neglected) to torque the bolts. He probably just put them in finger tight. That might explain what you had.
Congrats.
I love it when I get a surplus gen going.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks