• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sheared generator bracket bolts.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the picture from the M1113/M1114 TM.
The picture I found in the M998 manual is this one, which shows a short bar.

A2 gen.jpg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
remote mounted PS reservoir serp setup uses the one that goes to the engine block.
just an FYI, there is more than one of those support bars..IIRC, the bar for a 60amp won’t fit without modifications
if reusing on a 220amp-belt truck, that’s why the 200am kit comes with its own support bar in the kit.
Looking around, I did find 2 different part numbers for the support bar, 1 digit apart for part number.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking around, I did find 2 different part numbers for the support bar, 1 digit apart for part number.
yes, it is the turbo manual, but the bracket for the Gen and PS pump in the pic is the early serp….
To be hones, I don’t have any more trucks here that have the early serp setup, but it’s no wonder the TM’s are incorrect.
I just know that I have like 3 different rear support bars for 200amps, I have laid them side by side.
pretty sure the 60amp wont work on the 200 setupk than there is 200 v-belt version and lastly 200 early serp.

Hammer

No wonder this gets confusing!
And mine that has the longer bar to the block has the remote power steering reservoir, etc.
Both were 1998 trucks. Rebuild dates are the only thing that separate them really.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And mine that has the longer bar to the block has the remote power steering reservoir, etc.
Both were 1998 trucks. Rebuild dates are the only thing that separate them really.
serial number is how TM separates the 2, but an older reset truck could have new style Serp setup..

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yep for sure...

And don't forget the comment from Milcommoguy about the Motorpool Sergeant.
He has a line of things behind this truck that need attention.

Mixing and matching parts from the "deadline" doesn't always mean that your new auction win is perfect.
Not especially guaranteed that what you bought came from the factory as it is today...

If the parts fit (even with weird help) you might be good until the next problem shows up.

Hammer

serial number is how TM separates the 2, but an older reset truck could have new style Serp setup..
Yeah, not that anything really stays 'stock', even in the military. But after a rebuild, all bets are off.

Mixing and matching parts from the "deadline" doesn't always mean that your new auction win is perfect.
Not especially guaranteed that what you bought came from the factory as it is today...
Oh yeah, been collecting MVs for enough years, and was prior Army. Well aware how things get swapped out, fixed, etc.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Also note that the spacer is used with one and not the other cradle. Just saying.

In my set-up... After fussing with this brackets, alternator business, I used the long one to the block.

Running the 60 Amp just made more sense not having to deal with exhaust heat /rusty bolt issues.

Right or wrong... the angles to the drive pulleys and weight distribution seem better suited for support. Court marshall me if wrong.

My hillbilly thoughts and "86humv parts", CAMO

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-2320-387-24P late manual also does not show the long twist bracket being used in late surp on fig. 45A, but all late systems have them.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I found the issue with the exhaust stud.
The exhaust manifold flange for that cylinder apparently isn't formed quite right, so when I go to torque down on it, the stud starts pulling off to the side.

Pulled the generator mounting bracket off to get at all the bolts, turns out 2 of the 3 bolts on front were broken, not just one. So the gen and PS pump were literally held on by a single bolt.

Fortunately those 2 bolts came out easily enough. One I started drilling and it screwed itself in all the way, so as soon as the hole was deep enough the tiny ez-out worked to remove it no problem.
The exhaust stud that was broken off needed a little larger hole, but fortunately came out pretty much the same way. Hooray for anti-seize!

Now just to wait for the longer bracket for the rear to get here and the truck will be up and running again.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I lucked out I guess.
The seller I ordered the bracket from gave me tracking on another item I ordered, so I though they would be here together wed or thurs.
Nope, it got here today.

Got it installed; only thing I did was drilled out the hole for the power steering lines so I could reuse the 1/4" bolt.
Everything is back together now.

nairb

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I'm getting around to installing the upgraded bracket that goes to the block instead of the exhaust manifold stud except I have an m1123 that doesn't have the remote power steering reservoir. What is this piece on the new bracket supposed to connect to? Its in the way of my power steering lines and it doesn't look like it connects to anything, thinking about cutting it off:

F2E4BD47-475C-419E-A2D5-7A460853799D.png

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I'm getting around to installing the upgraded bracket that goes to the block instead of the exhaust manifold stud except I have an m1123 that doesn't have the remote power steering reservoir. What is this piece on the new bracket supposed to connect to? Its in the way of my power steering lines and it doesn't look like it connects to anything, thinking about cutting it off:

View attachment 899493
it gets a small p-clamp that holds the CPS and temp sender wire loom so it does not come in contact with the exhaust header.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for an update, I've now talked to several other people with sheared off exhaust stud and sheared off bolts in the front, the same thing as mine did. They have gone to the newer style bracket with no difficulty and are very happy with the upgrade.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks