• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shelter/van body mounting options

Guruman

Not so new member
I considered a lot of different options and came to the conclusion that buying a 1079 or 1087 was the most economically viable and solid engineering option.

For cargo handling I'll be looking for a 1084. Gives you all the space, all the weight, and the crane to get things in and out of the excessively tall bed without having a fork lift at every load/unload site.

You can start with a 1078 or a 1083, etc. But it WILL cost more (roughly 2x by my calculations - even more if you consider your labor or pay for someone to do it) by the time you figure the habitat and the subframe required to not turn said habitat into kindling. Sure you get to choose where the doors go, and where the windows go, etc. But it's not impossible to add doors or larger windows to the 1079/1087 enclosure either.

That's just how the math works out. Cargo containers and s280's and all the other options don't include a subframe, and typically no windows, etc. The 1079 already has stairs, windows, double back door, and 24v lighting including marker lights around the top edge, interior lights, and a zero-torsion subframe to ensure you don't twist and buckle the habitat into a pretzel.
For me, at least for the next few years, I cannot live full-time in my expedition rig. Which means at best the habitat will get used maybe 4 weeks out of the year, leaving me 48 weeks of the year when I'd be better off without the box on the back. Eventually that will change, we'll soon be empty-nesters and since we both work 100% remote, we can go anywhere our StarLink internet will work... so anywhere.

But right now, the truck only makes a little sense if I can use the bed for things like hauling my fuel tanks around, and fetching pallets of chicken feed, and firewood, throwing candy in parades and..... you name it.

If camping in it was all I was going to do, then yeah a 1079 or 1087 would be the ticket. But for me, now, having a permanently attached box, be it a stock 1079/1087 or a custom composite panel shell on a subframe, doesn't make enough sense.

Third From Texas

for box removing.... buy a used roll back wrecker (or just the bed and hydraulics). renew bed/hydraulics. Mount to your truck. build/refab your box to lock onto it. Rear of box hanging down lower and longer than roll on bed. Put with wheels or steel rollers on back edge??. why?

With trucks these tall.. by the time you hydraulic tilt and move back a roll on bed' it's end will still be 2 feet? off the ground..... so that is why build box with its arse siting lower..... when tilting bed the arse end of your camper box hits the ground..... drive forward..... front end you can lower with winch??? or have wheels or legs that slide into place orrr? the drive off...... hydraulic your bed back in place.

granted that takes engineering and MONEY.... and the box roof would be way the hell high... oops..... hmmm... would be cool though.
Personally I *much* prefer the system Neal came up with. And for long term stowage, it can be lowered (if you might worry about elements that might topple it when parked, like the 50mph winds we see often on this part of the coast). I love my M1079 but do miss the convenience of the flatbed for other tasks. I have my M1082 trailer for hauling, so for me it's sort of a wash. But if I had to do it all over again with an M1078 or 5-ton MTV this is the way I would go.

I've see drivers slam shit to the ground with roll-offs and I'd likely make that mistake given enough load/unload cycles.

;)

Guruman

Not so new member
Personally I *much* prefer the system Neal came up with. And for long term stowage, it can be lowered (if you might worry about elements that might topple it when parked, like the 50mph winds we see often on this part of the coast). I love my M1079 but do miss the convenience of the flatbed for other tasks. I have my M1082 trailer for hauling, so for me it's sort of a wash. But if I had to do it all over again with an M1078 or 5-ton MTV this is the way I would go.

I've see drivers slam shit to the ground with roll-offs and I'd likely make that mistake given enough load/unload cycles.

;)

I have not had time to watch all of his videos, and I've not seen anything about the legs themselves. Did he make those? or are they a military part? I have not quite came up with a satisfactory way to get/design the lifting legs.

My current idea is a couple of chain hoist hanging from 2 adjacent trees. Coming off the hook of each would be a couple of straps connecting the lift points of the shelter box. I should be able to hoist it up a bit, then lower it to the ground ( or very near the ground to eliminate contact with the soil). It should be a super cheap and reliable solution to mounting and removing the box, with the drawback that it won't just work anywhere like the legs would. But it's an option while I figure out a better system for the legs.

coachgeo

I have not had time to watch all of his videos, and I've not seen anything about the legs themselves. Did he make those? or are they a military part? I have not quite came up with a satisfactory way to get/design the lifting legs.

My current idea is a couple of chain hoist hanging from 2 adjacent trees. Coming off the hook of each would be a couple of straps connecting the lift points of the shelter box. I should be able to hoist it up a bit, then lower it to the ground ( or very near the ground to eliminate contact with the soil). It should be a super cheap and reliable solution to mounting and removing the box, with the drawback that it won't just work anywhere like the legs would. But it's an option while I figure out a better system for the legs.
yes he made the and yes there is video(s) on the process.

not sure the ones with legs ever got accepted... just were proposed such as:

Third From Texas

He took a stock S280 and fabbed the external legs.

I subbed his channel because of the awesome content (and not because he panhandles for subs). <holds up cardboard sign:>"SUBSCRIBE 2 MY CHANNEL SO's I KAN GETZ THREE CENTZ CUZ I IZ POO!!!!!!!!" <----I hate beggers and panhandlers

;)

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, not trying to hijack you here. I feel your pain. I've been looking for a good, shelter, van shop, equipment shop for my M1083A1 for 8-9 months now. Every time I find one that is in decent shape they go for big bucks, more then I want to pay. The last one I found was in NC, and it was a shop van and it went for over $4,500.00 and that doesn't include the auction fees or the transportation cost...that's just crazy money for me.

I guess I may have to break open a couple more of my piggy banks if I want one .

Good luck, I hope you find one soon!:D
There is a place in Tennessee, a surplus shop that supposedly has several expando Van shop bodies. That's what I have and am modifying for my M1083A1. I forgot the name of the shop.

Sent from my S62 Pro using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks